none
how to run report faster in C#? RRS feed

• Question

• hi all!

I using report in C#. But i see it runs is slow at the first time. How to run it faster? thanks

Sunday, August 5, 2012 9:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Can you give more information about which kind of reporting technology you are using ?

Reporting services ?

what is the client app type ? Web ? windows forms or silver light ?

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, August 5, 2012 12:54 PM
  • The client app type is window form. I use crystal report( SAP).
    Monday, August 6, 2012 2:03 AM
  • Unfortunately Microsoft Reporting (RDLC) and Crystal Reports use a caching mechanism that on first load, has very slow performance. Think of it as a "cold startup". One way you can get around this is to load a small dummy report behind the scenes when you first start your application. This will at least load the reporting libraries, and get rid of the cold startup the caching mechanisms go through. That is at least my understanding of both reporting systems.

Other than that, in my experience, I was able to reduce load times in reporting for my clients by loading, specifying, and handling data sources in the reports myself, rather than relying on design time features that the reporting provides, and being very minimal with report data.

In the long run though, I developed my own HTML reporting system which is much faster and proprietary, and I no longer use Microsoft Reporting or Crystal Reports. Hope this helps.

David Anderson
    Independent Software Developer
    DCOM Productions
    Microsoft Partner (MSP)
    www.dcomproductions.com

Help support FaultTrack by making a small donation. Ends Aug. 22.

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Hi mr four ,
    You can optimize  access speed of report data to increase the performance of a Crystal Report .Like check the record selection  , if there are too many tables link ,using database indexes  etc.
    Please check –out this link to get more information : http://www.ehow.com/how_5239306_increase-crystal-report-run-faster.html
    Hope this helps .
    Regards ,

Lisa Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Proposed as answer by Lisa Zhu Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lisa Zhu Friday, August 10, 2012 10:41 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 8:39 AM
  • ok. Thank you. I will try it now.
    • Marked as answer by mr four Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:35 PM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 12:57 PM