Error: this template attempted to load component assembly ‘Microsoft.LightSwitch.Design.VSTemplateWizard, RRS feed

• Question

• I have just done a complete rebuild of my PC installed VS2010 then VS11 and when I try and create a LightSwitch project in VS11 I get the following error:

Error: this template attempted to load component assembly ‘Microsoft.LightSwitch.Design.VSTemplateWizard, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublickKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a4a', For more information on this problem and how to enable this template, please see documentation on Customising Project Template.

Anyone have any ideas, it looks to me like something has not installed correctly?

See my blog C# Bits | Twitter @sjnaughton Always seeking an elegant solution.

• Edited by sjnaughton Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:50 PM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:48 PM

Answers

• I just removed VS11, rebooted and reinstalled and it seems fine now to add each extra bit one at a time to see if any cause the issue.

• Marked as answer by sjnaughton Monday, April 2, 2012 2:25 PM
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:36 PM
  • To follow up, apparently this issue only occurs when you install or reinstall LightSwitch V1 after installing LightSwitch V2, and a repair of VS11 should always fix the problem. Installing V2 after installing V1 shouldn't be an issue. If anyone is experiencing different, please let us know.

Thanks,

Steve Hoag Microsoft aka the Lights Witch (IEnumerable of Newt)

• Marked as answer by sjnaughton Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:20 AM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 6:12 PM

All replies

• Just found a sample Project I created before the rebuild of my PC and that load OK so it look like accessing the project template is the issue.

Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Just ran VS11 Beta repaire, no luck still the same :(

Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for your problems. There have been several other reports of the same issue, and so far it appears that doing a repair has fixed the problem. There is obviously an issue here, but we so far have been unable to repro it. If you can provide more specific information such as your OS, other products installed, running VS2010 and VS11 side by side, and any installed add-ins, or anything unusual about your configuration, it may help us to diagnose the problem.

Thanks,

Sunday, April 1, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Hi Steve, my environ ment is

Windows 7 64bit + SP1
    24Gb Ram
    2TB HDU

Visual Studio 2012 + SP1
    SP1 SDK
    VS LightSwitch 2011
    LightSwitch 2011 Toolkit
    VS Power Tools

Visual Studio 11

DevExpress CodeRush

Redgate SQL Toolbelt
    Redgate dotNetDeveloperBundle

SQL Server 2005 + SP4
    SQL Server 2008R2 + SP1
    SQL Server 2012
    Developer Editions

It's the same configuration I had before I reinstalled except it was all installed fresh.

My Next Step is to remove VS11 and reboot and reinstall.

Note: I posted this question because there seemed to be no post regarding this issue with LightSwitch.

• Edited by sjnaughton Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:45 PM
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Steve H,

This error popped up on both my Web Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 machines.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LightSwitchDev11Beta/thread/cb32193c-9ba2-40dd-bdc9-7d861e001b6a

Whilst the "repair" appeared to cure the problem and I haven't seen it since, there is still something amiss and I don't think it is O/S specific.

Could you ask the team what you would like us to provide to help pin-pointing the exact cause should the condition re-occur?

Steve N, sorry to hear the fix didn't work, Keith

E tenebris lux. ±

Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:07 PM
  • I just removed VS11, rebooted and reinstalled and it seems fine now to add each extra bit one at a time to see if any cause the issue.

• Marked as answer by sjnaughton Monday, April 2, 2012 2:25 PM
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Everything is reinstalled SDK and LightSwithch Toolkit and all is now fine.

Sunday, April 1, 2012 12:44 PM
  • To follow up, apparently this issue only occurs when you install or reinstall LightSwitch V1 after installing LightSwitch V2, and a repair of VS11 should always fix the problem. Installing V2 after installing V1 shouldn't be an issue. If anyone is experiencing different, please let us know.

Thanks,

• Marked as answer by sjnaughton Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:20 AM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 6:12 PM
  • To follow up Steve Hoag's comment. That (Install or re-install of V1 after V2), I did not do on both the Server and the Windows 7 box.

If and when this reoccurs I shall update you all!

Thanks, Keith

E tenebris lux. ±

Monday, April 2, 2012 7:24 PM
  • I have come across the same problem. It stopped working after I had a play with customizing the VS theme in VS11 and VS2010, so I am attempting to undo that work (fingers crossed). None of the above scenarios has happened on my machine. A LightSwitch project created in VS11 prior to the problem works so it is just the template.

"V2 after installing V1 shouldn't be an issue. If anyone is experiencing different, please let us know" - I have not touched V1 since installing VS11

Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 Opinions are my own. Please mark as answer if this helps solve your problem.

• Edited by Xpert360 Sunday, April 8, 2012 7:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:01 AM
  • This error just poped up for me.

In my case I uninstalled the Windows Phone stull installed by VS11 Beta so I could install the latest Phone stuff.

I am running a repair now...

The Visual Studio LightSwitch Marketplace

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Saturday, April 7, 2012 10:55 PM
  • Repair failed the first time. I tried again and the repair completed, but the problem is still there.

Uninstalling and re-installing everything...

Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Took 2 hours but it now works after uninstalling and re-installing Visual Studio 2011 Beta.

Sunday, April 8, 2012 4:28 AM
  • Same problem just popped up for me. Last time I used VS11 + LS2 it worked fine. Installed the new VS11 April update and the problem appeared right after that. Will go through the repair procedure now...

Using Win7 Prof 64bit, have both VS10 Ultimate and VS11 Ultimate Beta installed

Xander

• Edited by novascape Monday, April 16, 2012 10:29 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 10:26 AM
  • The 'Repair' worked in my case without any reinstalling anything. I have the update to the beta and since that I have been able to use the LS templates ok. Sounds like common symptom and message arising from several different problems.

Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 Opinions are my own. Please mark as answer if this helps solve your problem.

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:30 AM
  • Happy to report that running a 'Repair' on VS11 solved it for me too.

Regards

Xander

Monday, April 16, 2012 11:52 AM