none
Web Platform Installer not finding HDInsight RRS feed

• Question

• Followed instructions--downloaded wpilauncher.exe, typed  'Hadoop' into the search field. Resulted in "Your query returned zero results". WebPI is clearly connected and shows other packages. The instructions seemed pretty straightforward. 

Hz

Hz

Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:35 PM

All replies

• It was definitely working for me last night.  I can retry in about 8 hours if there's nobody else that can confirm...
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:48 PM
  • I installed it couple of times since the release , it should be there if you type 'Hadoop'. I also verified right now. Please try again and let me know if you're still seeing the same thing. 

aviade

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:21 PM
  • it seems to be working for me now, but if its still not for you please try hitting the backing download link directly.  Open a web browser and go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/web/handlers/webpi.ashx?command=GetInstallerRedirect&appid=HDINSIGHT-PREVIEW&mode=new

let us know if that worked ...

Mike Flasko Principal Program Manager Lead, Big Data Team, Microsoft

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Still not working. Searching for 'Hadoop' still returns the above mentioned error message. Using the above link results in this error message: "Microsoft Web Platform Installer couldn't find the product you tried to install. Either the link is incorrect or you may be overriding your feed with a different feed."

The feed setting in 'Options' is 'default'. Should I be using a different feed? The machine I'm trying to install on is a Windows 7 dev machine.

Hz

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:49 PM
  • I'm still not having any issues here, can you find some place to post screen shots and shows us exactly what you're doing.  If not, I can provide you with my email address so you can send images to me directly.  If the version makes a different, make sure you have Web PI 4.0 installed.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:41 PM
  • The above link seems to be broken, can you try the below link instead?

http://www.microsoft.com/web/handlers/webpi.ashx?command=GetInstallerRedirect&appid=HDINSIGHT-PREVIEW 

Thanks

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:55 PM
  • Considering I'm doing exactly the same thing shown in a couple of blogs, I'm not sure screen shots are going to help you any, but here it is:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19480480/wpiHD_dwnld_broke.pdf

Hz

Friday, October 26, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Considering I'm doing exactly the same thing shown in a couple of blogs, I'm not sure screen shots are going to help you any, but here it is:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19480480/wpiHD_dwnld_broke.pdf

Hz

Yup, that's exactly what I do, but it works for me.  Do you know how to use something like Wireshark or Network Monitor to see the data in the packets?  If you're willing to go that far...  Are you behind some kind of web proxy by any chance?
    Friday, October 26, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Get real. I'm not going to waste my time looking at packets--the installer has no problem displaying every other package available as mentioned in my first post. I also don't think a proxy server--which isn't in the mix--is going to selectively elide Hadoop. I'll just wait until next week when I'm in Redmond for the //build/ conference. Nothing like direct face time with the folks responsible. Until then, I've got Hadoop running on Linux boxes--there's a lot to be said for simple ol' tarballs.  

Hz

• Proposed as answer by Marco.Shaw Friday, October 26, 2012 11:35 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 4:00 AM
  • Hi

I am facing same problem, We API installer could not find HDInsight Server .. Can some one send me direct link for download.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Tuesday, October 30, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I would like to raise the same issue again - Web Platform installer cannot find Hadoop/HDInsight for me.
    So, download link from microsoft.com/BigData works as such - but installer keep saying "Microsoft Web Platform Installer couldnt' find the product you tried to install"...

With kind regards,
    Wlodek Bielski

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:49 PM
  • HDInsight is a 64-bit only offering.  It will not show up on 32 bit systems, by design.  I apologize for any messaging failures that caused mixed expectations.

Thanks,

John

This post is provided 'as is' and confers no express or implied warranties or rights.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Hi John,

Thank you - makes perfect sense now, as I was trying to download/install it on 32-bit Win XP SP3.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:20 PM
  • I am facing same problem
    Friday, January 18, 2013 9:45 AM
  • Are you facing the same problem with 64 bit machine?

aviade

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Easy fix

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Search your registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for HDINSIGHT find the folder under the Products folder and DELETE the entire registry entry for that file ("Folder") that contain the HDINSIGHT entry under the ProductName string value.
    Took me a while to figure that one out.

Administrator

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:40 AM
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Search your registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for HDINSIGHT find the folder under the Products folder and DELETE the entire registry entry for that file ("Folder") that contain the HDINSIGHT entry under the ProductName string value.
    Took me a while to figure that one out.

Administrator

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Hi all,

I tried the solution proposed by Nicbyte but the web installer cannot find HDInsights. Are there any prerequisites for installing this?

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:02 AM
  • Hi Krishna

Is this a re-install from web platform installer?

Regards

Administrator

Monday, April 15, 2013 7:19 AM
  • I trying on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 64 bit OS; Is HDINSIGHT-PREVIEW work on that platform? I get same error  "Microsoft Web Platform Installer couldn't find the product you tried to install. 
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 9:39 AM
  • I'm actually seeing the same issue.  I installed on one laptop last weekend, looks like 4/24/13. That was with a Win 8 machine.  Now trying to install on the win 7 machine and the Web Platform Installed 4.5 is not finding anything for a search for either HD Insight, HD, HDInsight or Hadoop.  I also scanned through all products and don't see it. 
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 5:30 PM