Azure Queue timeouts : was there an outage this morning on West Europe ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a lot of timeout errors this morning on my workerrole when i try to read messages from the queue

8/28/2012 5:05:43 AM Message:Operation could not be completed within the specified time. Stack Trace: at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.Tasks.Task`1.get_Result()

at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.Tasks.Task`1.ExecuteAndWait()

at ....GetNextMessage()

on the service dashbord i dont see anything posted about it

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Mouadh,

I understood from a previous message that you are using  the Windows Azure SDK to interact with the storage service, instead of using the Storage REST API directly, correct?

My previous reply/suggestion was also not related with the issue you are facing, because you are getting an exception while the GetMessage method is executing and not afterwards (while or after processing that message)...

If you are using the SDK then you are able to increase the CloudQueueClient.Timeout property. Please try this and see if it helps.

How often are you getting this exception? I would also would like to suggest you reading this article: Overview of Retry Policies in the Windows Azure Storage Client Library. In your case, it could be wise to have some basic retry policies.

One other remark: I found this blog post from 2011, by Avkash Chauhan - MSFT about an Intermittent exception with GetMessage() API when getting messages from Windows Azure Queue Storage. And he ended up contacting customer support. Although, I doubt this is related to the issue you are having.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
    Carlos Sardo

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:30 PM

All replies