Click-once application doesn't start RRS feed

• Question

• I've having big problems with Click-Once deployment of my application.

The application appears to install correctly and adds an entry to the start menu, however it won't run: either from the Start menu or from the web page.

The application does seem to work correctly for my colleagues, but not for me (although it used to).

I can't see any event log entries, and the application isn't running in task manager.

How can I see what is going on?  I've tried reinstalling .Net 2 framework, but that didn't help :-)

Best regards,

David

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:46 AM

Answers

• Try running EXE directly from ClickOnce store location and see if that works.

To do this:
    -
    navigate using explorer to clickonce store folder where application is installed.
    - It's under a few levels of obfuscated folders so easiest thing is to search for <appname>.exe under "%userprofile%\local settings\Apps". 
    - Run <appname>.exe

Note: Do this as a troubleshooting step only. For regular activation of ClickOnce apps use the start menu shortcut (or url to .application file) so that the right update and security checks are done.

If this direct activation of exe fails then looks like you have a general problem with launching managed apps on the machine not related to ClickOnce. If this is the case the general Windows Forms alias will be a better place to post the issue.

One additional thing to check - do you by any chance have Kensington Mouseworks software installed? We've seen problems with Winforms apps crashing when run on machines with this software installed. The mouse software has a bug that causes winforms app run from location greater than 128 chars in length to crash. This causes ClickOnce apps to crash. We are following up with Kensington Mouseworks to get this fixed.

If this is indeed the problem on your machine you will need to uninstall the Kensington Mouseworks software from Add/Remove Programs. It will prompt for reboot after which the minimal mouse drivers should get reinstalled automatically. Your mouse as well as ClickOnce apps should then work.

After uninstalling this software some extended mouse features and effects may not work but basic mouse functionality will be fine. I would recommend keeping the mouse software CD handy in case Windows is unable to auto-install the drivers from the web. We've seen a couple of people run into this issue and they both are able to use their mouse as well as run ClickOnce apps after uninstalling the software.

Regards,
    Sameer

• Marked as answer by RobinDotNet Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:14 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2006 7:48 AM

All replies

• Do you see any ClickOnce error dialog? If "yes" what does it say in the log?

If "no" it is possible that app itself is silently crashing on your machine. You can retrieve older log from WinInet Cache, to see whether ClickOnce portion of the launch was succeded.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:57 PM
  • I didn't get any error messages.  Where is the log file written to?

Today my application is working, so I'm going to have to wait for it to stop working again to debug any further.

Thanks for your help,
    David
    Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:50 AM
  • Log is located in WinInet Cache, "\Documents and Settings\<UserName> \Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" and starts with prefix "System_Deployment_Log".
    Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:26 PM
  • I'm getting the following log, which as you can see shows no errors.  My first thought would be to suspect that the application is dying on startup, except that:

a) This problem is affecting all click-once deployments on my machines - even ones that used to work and haven't been updated.

b) The app runs fine locally.

Any help much appreciated!

---log---
    PLATFORM VERSION INFO
        Windows             : 5.1.2600.131072 (Win32NT)
        Common Language Runtime     : 2.0.50727.42
        System.Deployment.dll         : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        mscorwks.dll             : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        dfdll.dll             : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
        dfshim.dll             : 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

SOURCES
        Deployment url            : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/David.XXXXX/Desktop/Connect.appref-ms
                            Server        : Microsoft-IIS/6.0
                            X-Powered-By    : ASP.NET
        Deployment Provider url        : http://www.XXXX/YYYYY.application

ERROR SUMMARY
        No errors were detected during this operation.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
        No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
        There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
        * [24/02/2006 09:51:27] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\David.XXXXX\Desktop\YYY.appref-ms has started.
        * [24/02/2006 09:51:27] : Performing necessary update check as specified by the deployment.
        * [24/02/2006 09:51:29] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\David.XXXXX\Desktop\YYY..appref-ms succeeded.

ERROR DETAILS
        No errors were detected during this operation.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
        No transaction information is available.

Friday, February 24, 2006 9:55 AM
  • I would suspect either hosting process for semi trust is dying out or something to do with the apps in ClickOnce store location. You can cleanup the store suggested here - http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=160592&SiteID=1
    Friday, February 24, 2006 9:24 PM
  • Try running EXE directly from ClickOnce store location and see if that works.

To do this:
    -
    navigate using explorer to clickonce store folder where application is installed.
    - It's under a few levels of obfuscated folders so easiest thing is to search for <appname>.exe under "%userprofile%\local settings\Apps". 
    - Run <appname>.exe

Note: Do this as a troubleshooting step only. For regular activation of ClickOnce apps use the start menu shortcut (or url to .application file) so that the right update and security checks are done.

If this direct activation of exe fails then looks like you have a general problem with launching managed apps on the machine not related to ClickOnce. If this is the case the general Windows Forms alias will be a better place to post the issue.

One additional thing to check - do you by any chance have Kensington Mouseworks software installed? We've seen problems with Winforms apps crashing when run on machines with this software installed. The mouse software has a bug that causes winforms app run from location greater than 128 chars in length to crash. This causes ClickOnce apps to crash. We are following up with Kensington Mouseworks to get this fixed.

If this is indeed the problem on your machine you will need to uninstall the Kensington Mouseworks software from Add/Remove Programs. It will prompt for reboot after which the minimal mouse drivers should get reinstalled automatically. Your mouse as well as ClickOnce apps should then work.

After uninstalling this software some extended mouse features and effects may not work but basic mouse functionality will be fine. I would recommend keeping the mouse software CD handy in case Windows is unable to auto-install the drivers from the web. We've seen a couple of people run into this issue and they both are able to use their mouse as well as run ClickOnce apps after uninstalling the software.

Regards,
    Sameer

• Marked as answer by RobinDotNet Thursday, July 9, 2009 9:14 AM
    Monday, February 27, 2006 7:48 AM
  • I've tried uninstalling all click-once applications and then cleaning up with mage -cc as suggested.  Unfortunately, no dice :-(
    Monday, February 27, 2006 10:41 AM
  • I do have a Kensington mouse, so I've uninstalled the driver but that didn't work.

I tried running the application directly as you suggested, but it won't start, I think because it can't find the other assemblies the .exe depends on.  If I copy all of the dependent assemblies into the same directory it fails to start, but doesn't give an error message so it looks like your paragraph:

"If this direct activation of exe fails then looks like you have a general problem with launching managed apps on the machine not related to ClickOnce. If this is the case the general Windows Forms alias will be a better place to post the issue."

may be the way to go for me.

Many thanks for your help.

Monday, February 27, 2006 10:47 AM
  • Easy test to see if the Kensington Software is causing problems is:

- Create a very simple HelloWorld.exe single binary app using VS
    - Create a test folder that's longer than 128 chars in length
    - Copy this exe to the test folder and try running it from there

The exe will probably shutdown immediately on its own. If you run the same exe from shorter path it will work. If this is the behavior you're seeing then run exe under debugger and see if kmw_dll.dll is being loaded in the process. If so then Kensington Mouseworks is still present on the machine.

Can you confirm couple of things:
    - You uninstalled Kensington Mouseworks from Add/Remove Programs right?
    - Did you reboot after uninstall?

Can you find kmw_dll.dll on your machine? If so try renaming it and see if that helps fix the problem.

Regards,
    Sameer

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:40 AM
  • Interesting - I tried the test you suggested and it looks as though the folder length is the problem.

I don't have Kensington Mouseworks as such - I just have a Kensington mouse driver that Windows Update pulled down for me one day.  I removed this from Device Manager, because there isn't an entry for it in Add/Remove Programs.  Now I've gone back to look and it looks like the driver got installed again.

I'm going to make sure I delete every single instance of kmw_sys.sys from the hard disk and try again.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for your help.

-
    David        

Wednesday, March 1, 2006 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

Did someone solved this issue?

Im having the same problem and can't solve it

Thanks
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:05 AM
  • It seems that no one is owning up to fixing this problem. It appears that the issue has been around since 2006 as according to the date on this post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/winformsue/archive/2006/05/22/604103.aspx

I just ran into this issue myself and spent the better part of the day ripping my hair out before I finally figured out (on my own) that it was the kensington software.

Personally, I have kensington mouseworks installed and it seems that the kmw_run.exe process was causing the problem. If I kill the kmw_run.exe from the task manager my click once / ado.net application will work just fine.

Someone on either side needs to fix this problem, either on the click-once / .net side or on the kensington side. At the moment it's a developer stalemate....which is pretty sucky if you ask me...especially considering that this issue is going on 2 years now....

grrrrrr......
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:13 PM
  • vinifera, thanks SO much for your last post here!  It saved our day.  We had ONE guy that could install our clickonce app, but then could not run it.  We tried everything and then I ran across your post.  This was exactly the problem.  Thanks again!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:43 PM
  • I was having a similar problem with my ClickOnce application:
    • Working just fine in debug mode from Visual Studio,
    • installing into the Start menu from the production URL just fine
    • no errors or warnings in the System_Deployement_Log
    • No Kensington mouse drivers

Here's how I realized the fix for my particular scenario:

• My desktop tower had been running all weekend - I came in and resumed work from Friday
    • So, out-of-the-blue today (Monday) I start experiencing some issues with my Vis. Studio, such as:
      • Would not compile, even though compiled fine Friday
      • Kept getting output messages like, "unable to copy file" or "Unable to write manifest"
      • Restarted Visual Studio a time or two w/no luck
      • Deleted my main project's MyProject/app.manifest file after reading a blog suggesting Vis. Studio would regenerate it.
      • Ended up having to restart my Workstation before finding that Visual Studio would happily compile my project again
    • Deployed a new version of my ClickOnce app to the production server
    • HERE'S WHERE PROBLEMS START OCCURING - CANNOT LAUNCH APP EVEN THOUGH IT INSTALLED FINE
    • Then it finally occurs to me to re-check my solution to find it has not recreated an app.manifest file.
    • So, I resurrect my app.manifest file from my subversion repository (and then I go back to Visual Studio, show hidden files, right-click, include in project)
    • Re-publish
    • Prest-O!, We're back in action

Hope that helps somebody out there.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 8:13 PM
  • Does anyone know how to tweak KMW.exe? I would love to try to fix this this conflict. It sucks.

Monday, June 8, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I recommend you talk to Kensington; it's their mouse drivers. :-)

RobinDotNet
    Click here to visit my ClickOnce blog!
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:40 AM
  • Sameer:

We just ran into this issue with our own Setup application (which happened to be launched from a path about 140 characters long); thanks for helping us identify Kensington MouseWorks as the culprit.

nightst4r, giacomodolce:

I've blogged about how I patched the version of kmw_dll.dll I found on my co-worker’s computer at: http://code.logos.com/blog/2009/06/patching_a_crash_in_kensington_mouseworks.html.

Bradley
    Friday, June 26, 2009 2:56 AM
  • Thanks Sameer!  I encountered this issues with Advent Geneva 8.0.  I killed the kmw* processes in task manager and was immediately able to get Geneva to launch.  After that success I uninstalled the software.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 4:49 PM
  • THANK YOU! This solved our problem. KENSINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEN! SING!!! gggggggggGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Hello, 

Since 2006 when this issue came up in light, there is no solution found by Microsoft. Ten years later and we still experience the same bullshits with ClickOnce.

I don't have Kensington mouse installed in my Windows 10 PC. I never had.

The app is installed correctly. No error messages. 

The app runs fine from the ClickOnce store folder. 

The shortcut created on desktop cannot start the application. A small dialog opens announcing some kind of verification process and closes after 2 sec. 

As I see in this forum, a lot of people experience this issue and nobody from Microsoft cares to solve it. I suppose I have to take a look at a 3rd-party installer.

Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

We too were having the same issue and the log file looks fine!

But we could find the issue to be a network resource which is used within the application is not accessible.

Sorting that solved the issue.

Hope that this will be of help for someone :)

WIth Warm Regards,

Sujan

Sunday, February 12, 2017 6:50 AM
  • Hello All,

I just want to point out our technical staff caused all of the click-once applications to fail by setting the UAC security setting to never notify all the way at the bottom.  Setting this to Notify me only... one step above or a higher setting fixes all of the applications with click-once for us after making the change and performing a reboot.  I don't think i saw this possibility posted here so I want to put it out there for those who are not aware.

-Mark

Thursday, August 3, 2017 1:42 PM
  • I found solution for the server that has UAC disabled - I run *.application from the elevated command prompt and it does the trick.
    Monday, April 16, 2018 9:34 AM
  • I had the same symptoms but different solution. Just adding it in case it helps anyone else. I was testing the click-once deployment of my app, but am not using a code signing certificate

I would launch the app from the start menu and could see the checking for updates window, but then nothing. Turns out that Windows Defender was blocking the app, but I wasn't getting any notification at all that this was happening. 

By changing the Publish Wizard to check for updates AFTER the application starts rather than BEFORE, it forced the Windows Defender dialog to pop up, and I was then able to click on Run Anyway, and my app opened. 

Sunday, June 3, 2018 12:24 PM
  • I had the same symptoms but different solution. Just adding it in case it helps anyone else. I was testing the click-once deployment of my app, but am not using a code signing certificate

I would launch the app from the start menu and could see the checking for updates window, but then nothing. Turns out that Windows Defender was blocking the app, but I wasn't getting any notification at all that this was happening. 

By changing the Publish Wizard to check for updates AFTER the application starts rather than BEFORE, it forced the Windows Defender dialog to pop up, and I was then able to click on Run Anyway, and my app opened. 

This proved to be a solution for us as well. Thank you so much :-)

This was however not an issue a month ago where Windows Defender would show a warning even if we updated before the application started. It seems like this could be a bug in Windows Defender.

You may argue that we should just sign our application... oh well.

Monday, June 4, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Hi all.

Recently I've experienced the same issue with some differences in the cause/solution, and I'd like to share it in case it will be useful for someone.

After the last windows update (KB4100403) my clickonce app has stopped working. The application checks for updates but then doesn't starts.

After a lot of trial and error the solution for us has been the following:

As Sameer Bhangar suggested, trying running exe from the clickonce store location has helped us in determine the root cause. After that, a message from Windows Defender SmartScreen has appeared so we've been able to allow SmartScreen to execute the aplication. This message didn't appear when the application was executed from the programs menu.

Just SmartScreen knows how smart is this.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 4:39 PM
  • Thank you for this. I know this is MANY years later but I actually did hit this problem in 2020. The problem was that the .exe file was blocked, so I just had to right click, enter properties and Unblock.
    Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:58 PM