none
VSTO - Uninstall - Manually - How? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

There is much discussion about installation but little that I can see re: uninstalling.
    I have used CASPOL to set permissions and VSTO in Outlook Addins (registry) to implicitly install the assemblies foe an MS Outlook 2003/7 set of assemblies - they work well.

However, over a period re-installations the GAC shows a large number instances of the installed assemblies - all version 1.0 which is fine at this point of development.

We have been using MAGE.exe -cc to quote remove the assembly but I do not think MAGE actually removes the files and their internal storage caches... as they are still visible under Docs and Settings/Local/Apps and DL3 folders.

We do not want to use ClickOnce at this point as we have other dependencies.

Question:
    Is there a reference to 'manually uninstalling assemblies' that we can automate... in some way?

Thanks,
    jds
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Jds,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description, it seems that you want to remove assemblies from the Global Assembly Cache, right?

If yes, you might try the Global Assembly Cache tool (Gacutil.exe) tool to clear an assembly from the global assembly cache.
    Please refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zykhfde0.aspx

For better understanding on .NET Global Assembly Cache, please check:
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/demystifygac.aspx

Hope this helps! If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:29 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:24 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:29 AM