Windows 8 questions (error in Socialite -246697213 , Weather, and Tweet@rama)

Question

• I'm having issues signing into apps; Tweet@rama, Weather. Is that available in the preview? Can you install apps on panel? Also, I'm getting an error in Socialite -246697213 and weather tells me I don't have an internet connection.

Thanks

Eric

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:41 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

The most common reason this issue occurs in the Windows 8 Developer Preview is due to an internet connection being unavailable, which causes the outbound HTTP request being made by the authentication broker to fail. The authentication broker (login page) is attempting to navigate to an SSL endpoint and failing. Please note that depending on your networking setup, a proxy could be catching all these outbound requests and preventing them from being sent successfully. Take a look at your networking setup and ensure that this is not the case and that you have a working internet connection.

Are you able to browse to all sites from IE? If you are still unable to resolve this issue a system refresh is likely the best option as Marilyn has mentioned. This issue will be thoroughly investigated by our engineering team. We appreciate your feedback and support!

Thanks,
    Justin Cooperman

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:09 AM

All replies

• Hey there,

Can you provide additional details? Which version of the Windows Developer Preview was installed on the system? What kind of Internet connectivity are you using to connect to the Internet?

Thanks,

Bobby 

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Hey there,

Can you provide additional details? Which version of the Windows Developer Preview was installed on the system? What kind of Internet connectivity are you using to connect to the Internet?

Thanks,

Bobby 

I am having the same issues as Bigshev above, socialite giving unknown runtime error and weather app saying unable to get weather info, check network connection. When I did the initial install I was able to setup the weather app fine, now it will not allow any changes. when I am on the start screen, the weather tile is showing weather info (not sure if the info is correct). Using x64 version, I am on a 50mb down connection and other programs that need network are fine. The RSS feeds are running fine.

Thanks for any help

Gary

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Hi BigShev

I have the same error in my system.

Look your anti virus or external firewall, because some one have a troubleshoot with him.

I use Avast and with this not works.

Klaus

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Your problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.
    The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve the metro apps not working error.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:
    Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started 
    Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the error.
    After the refresh, test to see if your issue is resolved.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:24 AM
  • AFTER REFRESH, MY SOCIALITE AND TWEET@RAMA NOT WORK...IN SOCIALITE I PUT MY USER AND PASS BUT ONLY DISPLAY LOGGING IN.......LONG LONG TIME AND NOTHING HAPPEND, AND FOR @RAMA DONT SHOW USER AND PASS,,,

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:09 AM
  • What is your screen resolution? For Metro Apps to work, you need 1024x768.
    Are you connected to the internet?
    Do you get any errors?
    Marilyn
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:31 AM
  • What is your screen resolution? For Metro Apps to work, you need 1024x768.
    Are you connected to the internet?
    Do you get any errors?
    Marilyn

yes...my resolution are 1024X768 and im connected to internet, i mean,,,,all work fine except Socialite and @rama

Other question: i put to download a update for virtual box and install Silverlight too, but only can download one? just one? not can download many aplication?

best regards and tnks for your reply asap

other question, in before windows u can close a prgrom clicking X, now how i can close a program? i don't se any X in the new explorer for example or socialite or @rama

Sorry for many question

Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:13 PM
  • in windows 8, you don't need to close apps.. just click START to go back to the start screen. Apps are not closed, but rather suspended so that you get back them as u left those the last time u used it. And regarding socialite, I am facing the same problem too. It shows logging in, but is never logged in.. I waited as long as 6 hours...!!
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:11 AM
  • in windows 8, you don't need to close apps.. just click START to go back to the start screen. Apps are not closed, but rather suspended so that you get back them as u left those the last time u used it. And regarding socialite, I am facing the same problem too. It shows logging in, but is never logged in.. I waited as long as 6 hours...!!

TNK U MY FRIEND FOR THE TIPS, IM WAIT STILL A SOLUTION FOR  SOLIALITE AND @RAMA, I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY HAPPEND THIS, BECASUE FEW DAYS AGO ALL WORKING OK, AFTER REFRESH, THEY DONT WORK MORE....

REGARDS

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:02 PM

TNK U MY FRIEND FOR THE TIPS, IM WAIT STILL A SOLUTION FOR  SOLIALITE AND @RAMA, I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY HAPPEND THIS, BECASUE FEW DAYS AGO ALL WORKING OK, AFTER REFRESH, THEY DONT WORK MORE....

REGARDS

ONE MORE QUESTION, ANYONE KNOW WHAT KIND OF PLUGIN NEED THIS NEW VERSION OF EXPLOERER FOR SEE CORRECT THE WEBSITE YAHOO MAIL, BECAUSE WHEN I GO TO MY EMAIL THEY SAY ME THAT THIS VERSION ARE OLD AND NEED UPDATE AND SUPPOST THIS ARE THE NEW VERSION....

REGARDS TO ALL

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Since you are having problems with the Sample Metro Apps, your problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the error message.

It may be necessary to install the drivers from the manufacturers support site again, but test for each of the problems you have experienced so far before installing the drivers if they are needed again. After you install the drivers, test to see if your issue is resolved.

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:58 PM
  •  

Marilyn,

Many of us are having the same problem (login never completes on Socialite) even after refreshes and full reinstalls (formatting hard drive) on different hardware platforms-just take a look at the Facebook Socialite wall.

I've personally checked firewall settings, updated Flash (if even relevant) and made sure HTTPS was turned off in my Facebook account. Others have gone to the extreme of removing all Wupdates trying to isolate the problem but the results are no change. Any chance the app dev team could look at this as it appears to be global?

thanks,

dave 

Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:37 PM
  • the answer from microsoft won,t help at all....i refresh my my windows for many time but still the same...my resolution is 1280 x 768 ..and my internet connection working excellent...i dont understand what actualy happen
    • Proposed as answer by ccie04 Monday, October 17, 2011 8:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ccie04 Monday, October 17, 2011 8:56 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 4:32 AM
  • The issue is that Socialite is getting back an invalid access token retrieved from Facebook... Now to fix this not sure but I have found no information from the Socialite developers on if they are working to fix this!
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Attempted disabling windows firewall this wasn't causing the issue.  Enabled all services possible this also did not fix the issue. Disabled UAC still unable to login.  Anything anyone else has tried and didn't work?
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:24 PM
  • From the dev team at the Socialite site:

"Thanks for your feedback on Socialite – we are aware of this issue and it is impacting many of us here at Microsoft that love to use Socialite as well. Unfortunately anyone trying to login for the first time hits an error and cannot login. If you have logged in previously you should still be okay. We’re working out what has gone wrong and appreciate your patience as we figure out how to get you all back into Socialite."

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Hi everyone,

The most common reason this issue occurs in the Windows 8 Developer Preview is due to an internet connection being unavailable, which causes the outbound HTTP request being made by the authentication broker to fail. The authentication broker (login page) is attempting to navigate to an SSL endpoint and failing. Please note that depending on your networking setup, a proxy could be catching all these outbound requests and preventing them from being sent successfully. Take a look at your networking setup and ensure that this is not the case and that you have a working internet connection.

Are you able to browse to all sites from IE? If you are still unable to resolve this issue a system refresh is likely the best option as Marilyn has mentioned. This issue will be thoroughly investigated by our engineering team. We appreciate your feedback and support!

Thanks,
    Justin Cooperman

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:09 AM
  • Hi, 

I have installed Windows 8 developer preview on couple of my PC's. Everything works great except Socialite. Even @Rama works like charm without any issues. Kindly provide anyway to fix this if anyone has figured out yet. 

Thanks 

Varun Chaudhry

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Hello Varun Chaudhry,

Did you see the statement from Microsoft regarding Socialite?

"Thanks for your feedback on Socialite – we are aware of this issue and it is impacting many of us here at Microsoft that love to use Socialite as well. Unfortunately anyone trying to login for the first time hits an error and cannot login. If you have logged in previously you should still be okay. We’re working out what has gone wrong and appreciate your patience as we figure out how to get you all back into Socialite."

To keep up to date on the Socialite issue, you might want to look at the Facebook page on Socialite.
    http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=171463892915039

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Hi, why dont u just add an install of the socialite on windows homepage? a fresh install of the app may correct the problem
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:27 PM