Database Selection for .NET applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I’m looking for comparative analysis on pros and cons of using SQL Server 2005/2008 and Oracle databases in .NET based applications. It is generally recommended to use SQL Server in .NET application architecture and SQL Server is mostly used in .NET applications. I'm trying to understand the compelling reasons to use SQL Server as backend instead of Oracle in terms of performance, security, development effort, etc.

What are the factors that need to be considered for selecting a database during architecture and design phases for .NET based applications.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Raghav

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/compare-oracle.aspx . It's a Microsoft page so SQL Server is of course better promoted. But there are some further links.

From a development perspective I can say that it needs much more pre-requisites to get an oracle database to work in a .NET development environment. Although there is an Oracle provider in the .NET Framework you can't start to work with the database immediatly. SQL Server is much better supported, even when you think of modelling.

Dani

http://dotnet-experience.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:39 AM
  • It's easier to develop with SQL server and more people do it so there's more people can help with issues.

Some devs swear by Linq to SQL.  It's only available for sql server.

Last time I worked on a site had both, it was WAY easier to maintain a sql server database.  I worked as a stand-in DBA for some time on both SQL server and Oracle.  Oracle was a nightmare to maintain.

I think the two dbms are roughly equal in terms of speed and capabilities.  Sure, you'll get exponents of either that'll go on and on about their favourite doing whatever.  I#'d say they're roughly equivalent in "power" and "speed" for most purposes.

Isn't Oracle more expensive than SQL Server?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:38 AM
  • please do use sql server 2008 from Microsoft.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:13 PM
  • please do use sql server 2008 from Microsoft.

Why?
    http://pauliom.wordpress.com
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

It depends on the business requirements and the budget.

At the moment oracle is a btter RDBMS than SQL server, but SQL server has been in use for bigger enterprise applications. It has all the features to qualify as an enterprise level RDBMS.

You need to map with your requirements and the particular RDBMS support and the budget. Finally it has to be a good compromise. If SQL server can serve all your must to have features and your budget has a limitation then you can select SQL Server.

You can find many comparison documents on different RDBMS products.

WBR,

Prasadpnvrk

regards, pnvrkprasad
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 5:50 PM