none
Are UWP restricted capabilities allowed in the Microsoft Store for Business? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Are UWP apps with restricted capabilities allowed in the Microsoft Store for Business? The app in question is using the extendedBackgroundTaskTime and extendedExecutionUnconstrained restricted capabilities so the app can run indefinitely and not enter the suspended state.

I have searched and haven't found a clear answer. In this(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-store/working-with-line-of-business-apps) document, the third paragraph states:

"One advantage of making apps available through Microsoft Store for Business is that the app has been signed by Microsoft Store, and uses the standard Microsoft Store policies. For organizations that can’t submit their application through the Windows Dev Center (for example, those needing additional capabilities or due to compliance purposes), Sideloading(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/application-management/sideload-apps-in-windows-10) is also supported on Windows 10."

The impression I get from this paragraph is that apps available on Microsoft Store for Business don't allow restricted capabilities just like the normal Microsoft store.

But in this(https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mvpawardprogram/2018/01/30/non-suspending-uwp-desktop-apps/) article, there is a paragraph that says:

"Note that you are not allowed to request access to the extendedExecutionUnconstrained capability in any app that is submitted to the store. It’s intended for enterprise Microsoft Store for Business apps and side-loaded LOB apps only."

Hopefully you can see my confusion here. Or maybe I'm reading something wrong.

If you have any further questions please let me know! Thank you for your time in advance!!

Monday, October 14, 2019 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi jksharp94,
    >The impression I get from this paragraph is that apps available on Microsoft Store for Business don't allow restricted capabilities just like the normal Microsoft store.
    I think my understanding should be different from yours. In my understanding, the description in document Working with line-of-business apps tells us that the organization can't use their account to publish a app through Windows Dev Center. In general, the organizations need to invite a developer who has a developer account to become a LOB publisher, the developer could publish the app through the Dev center, then the MSfB approve and add the LOB app to the private store.

By the way, when the developer use the restricted capabilities in the app, he need to contact support to get approval to use a capability, you can refer to Restricted capability approval process for more details.
    Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:05 AM
  • So when a developer submits a LOB app through the Windows Dev center to be added to an organization's private store on MSfB, is there any leniency with the restricted capabilities they declare for the app to use? Or are they generally not approved just like the apps that are submitted to the public Microsoft Store?

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:02 PM
  • Hi jksharp94,
    Sorry for the delay reply. The LOB app submission process is similar to the app submission process.The app goes through the same certification process, and must comply with all Microsoft Store Policies. 

It's worth noting that an app with restricted capability,when you upload packages for your submission, Microsoft will detect whether any restricted capabilities are declared. If Microsoft do so, you will be required to provide details about how your product uses each capability on the Submission options page. During the certification process, Microsoft testers will review the info you provide to determine whether your submission is approved to use the capability which may add some additional time(5 business days or longer) for your submission to complete the certification process.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 28, 2019 3:16 AM