BIDS data source deployment options RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have noticed since getting a new PC and a fresh install of BIDS, each time I try to deploy a single report in a project, all the data sources within that project are deployed. Previously it only deployed the data source associated with the particular report.

Is there a setting somewhere to revert to the previous behavior?

SSRS 2008 and I'm working on a Win7 Pro PC.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:44 AM

Answers

• I think you can right-click on the data source(s) you don't want and "Exclude from project."

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

• Proposed as answer by buchay2019 Monday, March 26, 2012 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Hi Paulm1971,

From your description, I can reproduce this issue in SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services. If we deploy a single report to the Report Server by using BI Development Studio tool, all of the shared data sources in the Report Server project will be deployed .

This behavior has been fixed in SQL Server 2008R2 Reporting Services. Currently, I think you can refer to AyaBabe’s solution as a workaround. If possible, you can consider upgrading to SQL Server 2008R2 Reporting Services. SQL Server 2008R2 Reporting Services introduces many new features and enhancements that increase the reporting capabilities of people who develop reporting solutions.

For more information, please see:
    Considerations for Upgrading Reporting Services: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143747.aspx
    What's New (Reporting Services): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170438.aspx

Regards,
    Bin Long

Bin Long

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Please ensure that "OverwriteDataSources" property is set to "False" (as shown in the below image) in the project properties section. I believe this must be causing the deployment of datasources everytime you deploy your reports.

Deployment Properties

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Thanks for you input Ashish.

However, I do need to overwrite data sources often, but only the data source that relates to the single individual report I am deploying. My point was that on deploying a single report from a project, all data sources within the project are deployed. This is not helpful - if I have completed report A I want to deploy data source A, I don't the data source from report B deploying at the same time. Sooner or later I will end up deploying an amended data source for an previously deployed report and the report will fail..

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:48 PM
  • I think you can right-click on the data source(s) you don't want and "Exclude from project."

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

• Proposed as answer by buchay2019 Monday, March 26, 2012 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Hi Paulm1971,

From your description, I can reproduce this issue in SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services. If we deploy a single report to the Report Server by using BI Development Studio tool, all of the shared data sources in the Report Server project will be deployed .

This behavior has been fixed in SQL Server 2008R2 Reporting Services. Currently, I think you can refer to AyaBabe’s solution as a workaround. If possible, you can consider upgrading to SQL Server 2008R2 Reporting Services. SQL Server 2008R2 Reporting Services introduces many new features and enhancements that increase the reporting capabilities of people who develop reporting solutions.

For more information, please see:
    Considerations for Upgrading Reporting Services: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143747.aspx
    What's New (Reporting Services): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170438.aspx

Regards,
    Bin Long

Bin Long

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:11 AM