Front Page had Navigation View - What does Expression Web 4 Have? RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Expression Web, having recently purchased Expression Web 4.  I have a huge FrontPage website relying heavily on Navigation View and Navigation bars.  A Master.dwt would serve to replace Shared Borders.  I now have to deal with regularly changing navigation bars.   I used drag and drop to shape my web site, using parent/child link bars.  Due to micro managers, I have to move entire sections around with drag and drop and I expect to use many different DWTs for different sub-trees in my website.  On another note, my site uses ColdFusion and to the best of my knowledge my host has no PHP.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:36 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure what your question is.  I think you already know that EW doesn't have navigation view or support navigation bars, and that for common content you can use DWTs and/or includes: design-side includes, which are an option for a few pages, or server side includes, which you would definitely use instead of design-side includes if the common content is in lots of pages.

There is no "drag and drop" way of doing this.  You need to design and construct your navigation yourself.

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:51 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:50 PM
  • And a word of warning: Do NOT open your existing site in EW 4! It will destroy the Shared Borders and make a huge mess in the process. Remove them in FP first, then work on the site in EW. Read the documents in the Forum FAQ - Start Here thread at the top that relate to converting from FrontPage.

And, to be clear...EW is not a drag-and-drop program. You absolutely must learn the basics of HTML and CSS to use it, and work in split view most of the time. If you try to use it as a drag-and-drop program, the resulting site will break on other users' computers.

A call to action:
    What do we want?!
    Time travel!
    When do we want it?!
    That's irrelevant!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:57 PM
  • I am new to Expression Web, having recently purchased Expression Web 4.  I have a huge FrontPage website relying heavily on Navigation View and Navigation bars.  A Master.dwt would serve to replace Shared Borders.  I now have to deal with regularly changing navigation bars.   I used drag and drop to shape my web site, using parent/child link bars.  Due to micro managers, I have to move entire sections around with drag and drop and I expect to use many different DWTs for different sub-trees in my website.  On another note, my site uses ColdFusion and to the best of my knowledge my host has no PHP.

If you want WYSIWYG, or drag and drop, better stick with FP—Expression Web offers neither. In order to help folks moving from FP to EW, Microsoft Support created a white paper, Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web, to provide a realistic view of what you will need to learn in order to use EW. Note that those are requirements, not suggestions. You will need to learn HTML and CSS, and unlearn the expectation that the application will do everything for you (i.e., forget the term "webbot").

Actually, since you are using ColdFusion, I would almost recommend you go with Dreamweaver. (BTW, I would be very surprised if your provider didn't support PHP—even Windows servers support it, and all Linux servers, AFAIK.) You would still have to learn HTML and CSS (can't escape that), but DW offers more in the way of CF support than EW does. It's a little harder to learn, especially coming from FP, and a LOT more expensive, but there you are...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:16 PM