none
Emule Solver excel in VB form RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

I have a variable that I have to minimize with respect to 3 constraints. I would like to do the same thing that the solver on Excel performs. Does anybody help me?

Hi,

what *does* the solver in Excel perform? Could you explain a bit? When I read your message, in my mind pops up a picture of a function to minimize with lagrange multipliers...a Calculus of Variations...an optimization problem. Am I right here, or did I misunderstand your question?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_multiplier

Regards,

Thorsten

Monday, May 14, 2018 3:18 PM
  • Hi Amedeo,

Since this forum is discussing and asking questions about the Visual Basic programming language, IDE, libraries, samples, and tool, and your issue is more related to Excel developing, I will move this thread to the more related forum.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 2:23 AM
  • Hello Amedeo,

Emule? I think what you want to say is "emulate", right? It seems you want to simulate the function what excel solver add-in does. However, solver add-ins is not a product for VB form and solver add-ins is not an open source, we could not simulate its function in VB form based on its code.

If you want to implement such function in VB form, I think you have to custom it yourself or you could try to contact the solver support team for an product or API for VB.net.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

what I think we need to know is the specs of the problem to solve.

Maybe its just a one-dimensional scalar variable problem that could be solved by applying a newtom/steepest descent method. If its more dimensional or a function to minimize, we also could help if we knew the problem. If you have a discrete system, or at least an Euler-Lagrange equation, we could help in implementing a solver for that system. I recently did some multigrid-, conjugate gradient, gmres, bicg, methods in VB to solve a poisson equation.

BTW. I think the initial forum was quite right for that question, at least if it comes to implementing/writing some code for WinForms in VB.

Regards,

Thorsten

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:44 AM