none
Renamed javascript files are automatically excluded from project

Question

• I am doing some lessons in Ext Javascript.  As I go through lessons which modify a starting file with each tab / item of the lesson, I'm appending the section / lesson tab name to the starting file name.  When I do this, the previous file name gets excluded from the project.  This is not desired, I'd like to turn this default off.  I checked in Tools | Options under Environment and Text Editor but I see no obvious checkbox to check or uncheck.

If I rename the file 'workingWithTabPanels_AddTabPaneltoPanel.js' to something else, then workingWithTabPanels_AddTabPaneltoPanel.js gets auto excluded.  Here is the current file screenshot, showing it is excluded automatically from the project once renamed, as shown in the 2nd screenshot:

Here is what happens once it is renamed:

Michael Durthaler

• Edited by SACSgtMike Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:17 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Michael Durthaler,

If you just create a local simple project, and then re-name the js file, how about the result?

Based on the screen shot, it seems that you use certain source control tool in your side, if you re-check in the whole project, whether you could see the previous js file? If have no, one possible reason is that the previous file has been deleted. We need to re-check in it again.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 13, 2015 10:33 AM
  • If you just create a local simple project, and then re-name the js file, how about the result?

This started as one simple project, no source control.  This has been noted all along, I just did not pursue resolving it until now.

Based on the screen shot, it seems that you use certain source control tool in your side, if you re-check in the whole project, whether you could see the previous js file? If have no, one possible reason is that the previous file has been deleted. We need to re-check in it again.

Not the case but it's a good question.  Prior to adding the solution to source control this was happening.  It doesn't make any sense that there would be such a default -- just because I'm renaming a file, why would someone deem the prior one must be excluded and set up VS to do so?  That's assuming it's by design -- it could be a bug.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Durthaler

Friday, November 13, 2015 11:45 AM
  • Hi Mike,

>>Prior to adding the solution to source control this was happening.  It doesn't make any sense that there would be such a default -- just because I'm renaming a file, why would someone deem the prior one must be excluded and set up VS to do so? 

Do you mean that it has no the previous one if you re-check in this project?

>> That's assuming it's by design -- it could be a bug.

To get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

Of course if possible, you could share a simple sample in your connect report, please also share the detailed steps and Environment requirements, I will also download the sample and really repro this issue in my side using the same Environment as yours, if I get the same issue as yours, I will help you vote your connect report.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 16, 2015 2:39 AM
  • Jack,

As far as reporting the possible bug with the link you gave me, I'll do so.

>>Prior to adding the solution to source control this was happening.  It doesn't make any sense that there would be such a default -- just because I'm renaming a file, why would someone deem the prior one must be excluded and set up VS to do so?

You: Do you mean that it has no the previous one if you re-check in this project?

Me: Jack, I don't see what isn't being communicated.  The Visual Studio Soltuion was created without ever being added to source control sometime in August.  Source control is NOT part of the issue.

I added it to source control last week so that my higher ups could look in on my progress.

All along, since August, if I saved a Javascript file as a different name, the original file was automatically excluded from the project.  The reason why I do this should be explained.  When a particular lesson is started, the code is included.  If a lesson has 7 different tabs to click on, let's say the tabs are named Step 1, Step 2 ... and so on ... Step 7, on each of these steps the file has something new added to the code.

So I'll start with a file such as WorkingWithFunctions_Step1.js The next step will be WorkingWithFunctions_Step2.js. So, to keep the code I already have and add the code in Step 2, I'll save WorkingWithFunctions_Step1.js as WorkingWithFunctions_Step2.js. Then I add the code for step 2 and do the lesson exercises.

Simple!

When I save save WorkingWithFunctions_Step1.js as WorkingWithFunctions_Step2.js, then WorkingWithFunctions_Step1.js will automatically be excluded from the project.

I don't want this to happen.  I'm asking how is this prevented?

If anything isn't clear, let me know.

Michael Durthaler

• Edited by SACSgtMike Monday, November 16, 2015 11:52 AM corrected spelling of a word.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 11:50 AM
  • Thanks for your friendly response, Mike:)

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback/Details/2023385

As you already submit one feedback on the Microsoft Connect site, let's focus on the case on that channel, I think the senior members can provide more professional support.

Sincerely,

Jack

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:23 AM
  • Sounds good, I'll keep an eye on it there.

Michael Durthaler

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:09 AM