none
Game load/initialization timing out on Xbox console? (watchdog_timeout) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting two exceptions showing up in my game health reports.  One seems to be coming from the Xbox Live Unity plug in code (already created a question for that one), and the other seems to be the game failing to load at startup....At least, that's what I'm assuming the issue is, since:

• I've seen that happen in other games (the splash screen sits there for a long time, and then you get thrown back to the console's home screen, possibly with a pop up message saying the game took too long to start). 
    • The stack traces are all empty (crashing before the app code is actually started?), and
    • The error mentions "watchdog timeout":

em_watchdog_timeout_deada444_14345mikepalotas.sticktype_8by5pasrftb4p!sticktype.exe_quiesce_hang

Nothing shows up on these forums regarding this error, but other online discussions suggest that it's a Microsoft platform issue.  Has anybody on here seen this or know if there's anything I can do with my game to prevent or fix this?  Or is this just something we have to live with on the console (while this seems to be the popular opinion online regarding this issue, it would still be great if I could do something to improve the user experience)?

This is a Unity 5.6.4 game using the 1711 version of the Xbox Live Unity dll published through the Creator's Program.  Devices seeing this exception are the Xbox One and Xbox One S.  The game is StickType: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/sticktype/9n46b8wqr3p0?rtc=1

Thanks again-

Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting on our forum. I looked though much of the documentation as well and couldn't find anything in regards to the issue. Is it possible to capture a fiddler trace for the error you are seeing? That may help us better understand what is occurring during the launch sequence.

Thank You,

Brett

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:35 PM
  • Hi again Brett-

Unfortunately I don't have a way to repro this; I'm only seeing this out in the wild through the crash reports of my game.

I've personally seen it happen across a lot of games during my time on the Xbox, so I think it's a platform issue; if it's not really known or there's not a known way around it, then it's no big deal...though I've heard of people getting apps pulled from the market place because of this issue, which is scary and sad--especially if it is a platform thing.  I'll keep an eye on it, but it's the majority of my failures now (even just over the last few days):

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:59 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I'll pose the question/issue to our support team and see if they have anything helpful in regards to the issue.

Thank You,

Brett

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

I am also seeing the watchdog crash report with my Unity Creators Program game (no other crashes).  I am using the same version of the plugin, but Unity 2017.4.1f1.

From what I a seeing, it looks to align with new players, so would hazard a guess it is something to do with the Permission popup the player has to accept the first time they play.

Any news on this issue?

cheers

Liam

• Edited by Rygaar Sunday, June 17, 2018 2:26 AM slight reword to clarify
    Sunday, June 17, 2018 2:23 AM
  • Hi Rygarr,

Thank You for the additional info, I forwarded it to our engineers. They are still looking into it.

Thank You,

Brett

Monday, June 18, 2018 7:13 AM
  • Any news on this?
    Saturday, August 4, 2018 1:34 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Did you ever get a resolution to this?

Interested, as I am seeing it too.

thanks

Liam

Sunday, August 12, 2018 12:35 AM
  • Hey Liam-