none
Replacing a content type for an existing page layout RRS feed

• Question

• In the Create Page of a publishing site, the dropdown shows a list of available page layouts

eg. (Welcome Page) NewPublishingPage

I want to replace the content type mentioned in the brackets to a new content type that I have created. Also I need to give space in the Layout name.
    I want to display it as :

(New Page) New Publishing Page

I was able to edit the fields for every page layout. But i want the changes to be reflected across site collections. How do i do it?
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 8:01 AM

Answers

• Based on my research, you can access the Master pages and page layouts to edit the available page layout. Here is an example to modify (Welcome Page) Welcome Page with Summary Links:

1. On the Site Actions menu , point to Site Settings, and then click Modify All Site Settings

2. On the Site Settings page, in the Galleries section, click Master Page and Page Layout Gallery.

3. Click welcomelinks.aspx and click Edit Properties.

4. Change the content type you would like to use

5. You can add space when modify Title to give the space in the layout name.

Additionally I would like to explain the changes will  apply on one site collection and there is no OOB way to  reflect the change across site collections. If you would like to apply same changes on other site collection, you can click modified file in  Master Page and Page Layout Gallery and click Send to-> download a copy to download a copy file to local. Then You can upload the copy file to the Master Page and Page Layout Gallery of other site collection.

Regards

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:51 AM
  • To replace content types across the site collections, you will either have to manually edit the content types in each one or use some custom code such as a custom SharePoint Feature. Perhaps a custom powershell script could do it as well.  

Maybe the Development and Programming forum could help.
    Randy Drisgill - MVP SharePoint Server
    SharePoint911 Branding and UI Services
    My Blog: http://blog.drisgill.com
    Wrox: Professional SharePoint 2007 Design
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:22 AM

All replies

• Have you tried out this link. You create custom page content types and publish across site collections.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/HA101741281033.aspx

Thanks,
    Veera Reddy
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 2:38 PM
  • hi,

Thanks for replying...But the link that u have provided could not be opened....

My requirement is to change the content type of an existing page layout.  the publishing  page layout that i have created already has a content type associated with it. now i want to change the content type alone. How do i do that? all the changes should be reflected across site collections.

eg: in the dropdown if i have (Welcome Page) NewPublishingPage, i want to replace the "Welcome Page" with "New" which is the new content type i have created.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:01 PM
  • Based on my research, you can access the Master pages and page layouts to edit the available page layout. Here is an example to modify (Welcome Page) Welcome Page with Summary Links:

1. On the Site Actions menu , point to Site Settings, and then click Modify All Site Settings

2. On the Site Settings page, in the Galleries section, click Master Page and Page Layout Gallery.

3. Click welcomelinks.aspx and click Edit Properties.

4. Change the content type you would like to use

5. You can add space when modify Title to give the space in the layout name.

Additionally I would like to explain the changes will  apply on one site collection and there is no OOB way to  reflect the change across site collections. If you would like to apply same changes on other site collection, you can click modified file in  Master Page and Page Layout Gallery and click Send to-> download a copy to download a copy file to local. Then You can upload the copy file to the Master Page and Page Layout Gallery of other site collection.

Regards

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:51 AM
  • To replace content types across the site collections, you will either have to manually edit the content types in each one or use some custom code such as a custom SharePoint Feature. Perhaps a custom powershell script could do it as well.  

Maybe the Development and Programming forum could help.
    Randy Drisgill - MVP SharePoint Server
    SharePoint911 Branding and UI Services
    My Blog: http://blog.drisgill.com
    Wrox: Professional SharePoint 2007 Design
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:22 AM