none
GUI design with .NET, how to? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there everybody,

I've been wondering, is there anything like the fantastic Qt Designer for .NET?

The genius behind the Qt Designer is in the workflow. I design a fairly complex GUI, save it as a .gui file and then simply reference that file in my program, so that I don't have to worry about GUI declarations in the code. This saves so much time and effort and is also very flexible and user friendly as I don't have to, for example, write tons of support code just to be able to resize the dialog with all the GUI controls in it.

So, my question is:

1) Is there a graphical way of designing dotNET UIs?

2) Is it possible to generate such a .gui file to reference/use in my scripts/programs?

Thanks a lot in advance, cheers,

- loocas
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 10:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Loocas,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description, it seems that you want to do some visual design, right?

For your first question, if you're developing WPF application, you can utilize Blend or Designer tool, which in turn will export the graphic to XAML format. If you have any interest on WPF, please visit: Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) forum.

For your second question, could you please clarify it more? What do you want it to be?

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, December 11, 2009 4:28 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Loocas,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description, it seems that you want to do some visual design, right?

For your first question, if you're developing WPF application, you can utilize Blend or Designer tool, which in turn will export the graphic to XAML format. If you have any interest on WPF, please visit: Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) forum.

For your second question, could you please clarify it more? What do you want it to be?

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, December 11, 2009 4:28 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Hi Loocas,

Thank you for your post.

For your first question, if you're developing WPF application, you can utilize Blend or Designer tool, which in turn will export the graphic to XAML format. If you have any interest on WPF, please visit: Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)  forum.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thank you YiChun, much appretiated.

The thing is, I haven't touched WPF yet, I've only been using Forms and simple controls in my GUIs as I don't really need anything fancier.

But since I've also looked into Qt, I miss the simple and very intuitive way of designing my Forms with all the controls in it and then generating a .ui file from the QtDesigner, which I cen then reference in my program and Qt interpreter will load the complex Forms with all the controls for me. All I need to do then is just associate the individual controls with functionality and that's it. I save tons of time and code lines that I'd have to spend on designing the Forms and controls manually in the code.

I hope that explains the second question.

Thanks again, I'll look into WPF for sure.

- loocas
    Friday, December 11, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Hi Loocas,

It's my pleasure!

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Sorry for that I'm not quite familiar with Qt. However, I hope your issue will be solved ASAP.

Have a great weekend. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, December 11, 2009 4:29 AM typo
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Hi Loocas,

It's my pleasure!

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. Sorry for that I'm not quite familiar with Qt. However, I hope your issue will be solved ASAP.

Have a great weekend. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Ah, sorry for the wrong placement. Where can I ask regarding the UI design in .NET then? I'd like to get this resolved as I'm tired writing my UI in the code form, which is slow, tedious and very unintuitive.

Thank you again, cheers,

- loocas
    Monday, December 14, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Hi Loocas,

Thank you for your reply.

You might try to check the list of forums here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories. You could find the appropriate forum to post your issue. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, December 14, 2009 11:13 AM