none
How to get .VB files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an older program that we need to compile. The original developer and computer are not available. We have the source code which we believe is Visual Studio 2010 and written in Visual Basic. When compiling the program it is trying to locate the following file. 

f:\dd\vb\runtime\msvbalib\ApplicationServices\WindowsFormsApplicationBase.vb

We'll probably need more that just this file. I've tried installing just about every installation file on MSDN but can't locate this file. Does anyone know what package from Microsoft has this file? 

I see on various forums people mention this exact data structure but no one says where they go it from. 

Much Appreciated,

Paul

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue seems about the development. Our forum is only to discuss the VS IDE, I want to confirm that your current application is VB or VB.NET? Then I can help you find the appropriate forum for your issue, thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara  

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm:
    (1) can you open "WindowsFormsApplicationBase.vb" in some text editor?
    (2) can you provide all file names for the older program?

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:37 AM
  • Show the full error messages that are displayed during compilation.

Usually WindowsFormsApplicationBase represents a part of the .NET framework: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.visualbasic.applicationservices.windowsformsapplicationbase?view=netframework-4.7, not a user file.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

That's the issue is I don't know where to download this file?

I can ask the developer who is going to work on it if he knows.

Thanks,

Paul

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry about that. I believe it is VB.

Thanks,

Paul

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:18 PM
  • I saw this. But when compiling, the current developer, reports that it's actually looking for a .VB file in the location above. Maybe the older developer wrote a .VB file that he was calling?
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:22 PM
  • You know that the forum for VB questions is

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vbgeneral

However, a file with as extension VB is just a text file which contains the source code as written by the programmer. 

Strange they call a datastructure because its structure is the same as this message. Just unordered characters. 

Success Cor

Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

That's the issue is I don't know where to download this file?

I can ask the developer who is going to work on it if he knows.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you have a file "WindowsFormsApplicationBase.vb", please share it via cloud storage such as OneDrive, Dropbox, and so on.
    If you don't have that file, how can you know its file name (and path)?

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:02 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for your update and sorry for my delay reply.

Since your issue is about VB development and our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, I will help you move this thread to the appropriate forum for a better support, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, January 22, 2018 2:25 AM
  • We have the source code which we believe is Visual Studio 2010 and written in Visual Basic. When compiling the program it is trying to locate the following file.

It seems that the compiler is picking that name from the source files but is then looking for it as another source file rather than as a class reference.  That might be because you are attempting to compile the source using an inappropriate project template.   What exactly are the source files that you were able to obtain, and how have you set them up for processing in the compiler?

Monday, January 22, 2018 2:46 AM