How can I clean up storage in Windows Azure? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I clean up storage in Windows Azure server? There is "Reset" function in Development storage, but I cann't find any function like "Reset" in Windows Azure storage server.

I delete storage server, and recreate storage server with the same Storage Account Name, it will failed to create it. Even worse, after failed to recreate storage server, I check the Storage Account Name whether available, it said "The storage name is already in use." and my remaining Storage Account decreased.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:55 AM

Answers

• Hi George,

Adding to what Yi-Lun Luo has said, here are a few things I have observed:

- Generally delete operations are asynchronous. What I mean by that is when you delete a storage account or an entity (table, queue, blob container etc.) it is placed in a delete queue and is eventually deleted. However during that period any attempt to recreate object with the same name may result in some errors. This time period will actually depend on how big your storage account is. I have seen on this forum that users have deleted a table and even after 24 hours, they were not able to create a new table with the same name (it's still being deleted).

- When you commission a new storage account, in my experience wait for about 15 minutes or so to get it fully commissioned.

- We have a feature in our product Cloud Storage Studio where you can delete all tables (and queues and blob containers) in one click without actually deleting the storage account. You may want to look into that. You can find more information here: http://www.cerebrata.com/Products/CloudStorageStudio/WhatsNew.aspx . This is a feature we introduced in our last release.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Hello, you should be able to delete and recreate the storage account to "reset" it. All data in the original account will be deleted. But try to wait for about 2 minutes before recreating the account with the same name. If you still get the error message indicating the account name is already used, please contact Live Site support on http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/support/.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:42 AM
  • To pile on, I think the issue is that deleting a storage account is an asynchronous operation... it takes a while before a new storage account with the same name can be created.  I think what happened is that you tried to create a storage account with the same name while the old one was still being deleted.  Somehow this got your subscription into a weird state (where the storage account was sort of half-created).  Support can fix this up.  Short of contacting them, I don't think there's anything you can do.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:16 AM

All replies

• Hello, you should be able to delete and recreate the storage account to "reset" it. All data in the original account will be deleted. But try to wait for about 2 minutes before recreating the account with the same name. If you still get the error message indicating the account name is already used, please contact Live Site support on http://www.microsoft.com/windowsazure/support/.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Hi Yi-Lun Luo,

Thanks reply. But I still got the same error. Did you try to recreate the storage account with the same name after delete it? And why my remaining storage ccount has been decreased, though I recreated the storage account unsuccessfully? Thanks.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Yes, I've tried to delete and recreate storage accounts several times, and it all worked fine. So why can't you create your account with the same name? I can only think of two reasons. One, another person claims the same account name just in between you delete the account and try to recreate it, in which case you have to use a new name. Two, something is wrong with your account, in which case I can do nothing to help you... I suggest you to contact Live Site support.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:29 AM
  • Hi George,

Adding to what Yi-Lun Luo has said, here are a few things I have observed:

- Generally delete operations are asynchronous. What I mean by that is when you delete a storage account or an entity (table, queue, blob container etc.) it is placed in a delete queue and is eventually deleted. However during that period any attempt to recreate object with the same name may result in some errors. This time period will actually depend on how big your storage account is. I have seen on this forum that users have deleted a table and even after 24 hours, they were not able to create a new table with the same name (it's still being deleted).

- When you commission a new storage account, in my experience wait for about 15 minutes or so to get it fully commissioned.

- We have a feature in our product Cloud Storage Studio where you can delete all tables (and queues and blob containers) in one click without actually deleting the storage account. You may want to look into that. You can find more information here: http://www.cerebrata.com/Products/CloudStorageStudio/WhatsNew.aspx . This is a feature we introduced in our last release.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Gaurav Mantri

Cerebrata Software

http://www.cerebrata.com

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for your product, I will try it later.

I deleted a storage account a few days ago, but I cann't recreate it with the same name now...

What make me confuse is  why my remaining storage ccount has been decreased, though I recreated the storage account unsuccessfully

Maybe something is wrong with my account?

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 3:59 AM
  • Hi George,

I also went through similar issue a little while ago (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsazure/thread/bd95ef8d-c68b-48d5-a198-a3bac58cbf81 ) and as recommended by Yi-Lun Luo I contacted support. They were extremely responsive and I got the issue fixed within few hours. My recommendation would be to open a support ticket.

Thanks

Gaurav

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:23 AM
  • To pile on, I think the issue is that deleting a storage account is an asynchronous operation... it takes a while before a new storage account with the same name can be created.  I think what happened is that you tried to create a storage account with the same name while the old one was still being deleted.  Somehow this got your subscription into a weird state (where the storage account was sort of half-created).  Support can fix this up.  Short of contacting them, I don't think there's anything you can do.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:16 AM
  • Thanks a lot. I will contact Live Site support...

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 5:28 AM
  • I am having the same issue and live site support told me to wait for 1 week. :(
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:28 PM