Inventing Your Own Text File Type? RRS feed

• Question

• User1558078398 posted

Such idea can be beneficial for email systems for example.

Where the file type could have pre-defined width conventions. Comparable to small, normal and big paper.

It also could include pre-defined headline conventions and the horizontal rule element (the hr tag).

The question is, where to start with this, and if there are templates available for this to have a look at it and go from there? Basically, if there is VB.NET code which one can have a look at?

Friday, November 2, 2012 4:53 PM

Answers

• User-126879547 posted

File extensions hold no power over what is actually held in the file. If you take an exe file and change it's name to txt, you still can't read it. If you change it back to EXE it still runs (as long as you didn't change it while it was a txt). File extensions don't DICTATE what's in the file, they just offer an easy way to have an idea what kind of information that data holds.

I've created my own extensions plenty of times. If you're wanting to make some sort of document or data file where you double click the output file (the file with your own extension) and it opens in your reader application, then that will take a bit more then just naming the file whatever you want. You can associate an extension to a program manually (right clicking the file and following a few steps), programmatically (which you'll have to look up, it's different for every language), or on installation (depends on what you use to build the installation).

I know I didn't help much, but that's because of the lack of specifics. What I am telling you, is that it's possible. Email me with specifics and I can probably help you out more.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2012 4:55 PM