none
What is the camera gain/brightness at a certain frame? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, is there a way to get the image brightness /camera gain from the kinect at a certain frame? I know there is no way to fix the camera gain (so it doesnt change depending on the room light) but is it at least possible to know the value pre-autogain, or post-autogain of the camera? 

its just that i need to have some estimate of the light in the environment as part of my app...

Thanks 

Sammy

Monday, September 26, 2011 1:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry, this is not available as a simple value available for an image frame. One possible thing to do is to convert each RGB pixel to the corresponding HSV space values (http://en.literateprograms.org/RGB_to_HSV_color_space_conversion_%28C%29) and take the average of the "V" (value or brightness) component across entire frame.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Thanks Eddy, 

The only problem with this is that the camera - I believe - runs an auto brightness adjustment, so if I measure the brightness of the image I wouldn't be able to estimate a measure of the "light in the room". Isnt there some Gain value that one can get from the camera, or the brightness adjustment value between two frames? or perhaps, can one deactivate the auto adjustment (then measuring brightness from the RGBs would be ok I guess)...

If there aint such things, i would highly recommend them as features for the next sdk.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Those properties are not modifiable or queryable from SDK.

I have made note of your request. Thanks!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Monday, October 3, 2011 11:31 PM