none
fcb::close-flush: Operating system error (null) encountered. Write on "???" failed: 1117(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.) RRS feed

• Question

• Our restore job has been failing with the following error once in a while not sure why it is failing especially on the weekends. Not seeing any jobs running at the same time of failure on the same server. This job has been running successfully since two years.

fcb::close-flush: Operating system error (null) encountered.

Write on "???" failed: 1117(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)

USE [master]
    ALTER DATABASE [ABC] 
    SET SINGLE_USER 
    WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

RESTORE DATABASE [ABC] FROM  DISK = 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\xyz.bak'  
    WITH MOVE 'xyz' TO 'J:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Data\abc_Data.mdf',  
    MOVE 'xyz_log' TO 'F:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\abc_Log.ldf',  
    NOUNLOAD,  REPLACE,  STATS = 5

SET DEADLOCK_PRIORITY HIGH
    ALTER DATABASE ABC SET OFFLINE WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
    ALTER DATABASE ABC SET ONLINE WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
    ALTER DATABASE ABC SET MULTI_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

GO

Saturday, May 23, 2020 8:46 PM

All replies

• The error is an error from the OS or rather the file system. I think you need to discuss this with your storage admin about what is going on.

I take it that none of the devices, E, J and F, are physical disks on the physical computer where this SQL instance is located, but rather they are resources "somewhere".

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Saturday, May 23, 2020 10:00 PM
  • The issue is definitely not with SQL Server but most likely with storage, somehow connection is lost to storage and it just stops restoring. You should speak to storage team.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Sunday, May 24, 2020 5:17 AM
  • As mentioned by others this is on Storage layer. 

Do you also see errors like the one below or any other during the same time? You could check on SQL Error Log and also on Event Viewer - Application

SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete

Sunday, May 24, 2020 9:46 PM
  • Hi Molly2020,

>>Write on "???" failed: 1117(The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)

Error code 1117 is generated by the Windows operating system and is always caused by I/O (Input / Output) throughput issues with either the disk or the controller that it is attached to. As others mentioned, you can discuss the issue with your storage team.  Or I suggest you can open a new thread at the Windows server forum to get better help. 

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, May 25, 2020 3:09 AM
  • Hi Molly2020,

Any update? If the reply could help you, please kindly mark the useful reply as answer.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 6:45 AM