Server configuration for Reporting Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

we need to implement a large SSRS (on Azure VM) based reporting solution containing close to 200 reports with a user base of around 250 users. We need to do an infra sizing exercise such that we come up with the optimal hardware requirements and can also devise the scale up / scale out options.

Please point me to any recommendations, approach for the same.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:18 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

The flexible design of Reporting Services enables customers to deploy its components on a single server or across multiple servers, depending on their needs and preference.  

For the detailed configuration regarding scale up/out and hardware requirements, you could refer to this official document: Planning for Scalability and Performance with Reporting Services

Best Regards,

Henry

• Proposed as answer by Henry Jiang Monday, December 25, 2017 1:30 AM
    Friday, December 22, 2017 8:33 AM
  • Thanks Henry for pointing me to the link. I had already gone through it and have understood the high level scale up/out guidelines. However, this is an extremely old document covering somewhat low end servers and provides a somewhat high level view for capacity planning. If I have to provide infra requirements for say 300 reports with 120 users such that the business can do some upfront budgeting for Infra, how am I to determine whether a Ds14v2 VM (standalone, local catalog) should do the job for me or whether I  should go for a 2-Ds14v2 (or 1 Ds13v2, 1 Ds14v2) Remote Catalog approach?

How do I link RAM usage to the report count/volume (concrete examples/sample sizing)?

Are there any guidelines on number of parallel users to determine whether to go for a remote Catalog or stick to one server?

If I know the max report volume (total volume in GB from output of all queries used in the reports, unfiltered), how do I map that to the expected RAM / TempDB / ReportServer DB usage?

Some real world example configurations is what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 11:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. 

Reporting Services responds to system resource constraints by adjusting the amount of memory that is allocated to specific applications and types of processing requests. Configuration settings that control memory allocation for the report server include WorkingSetMaximum, WorkingSetMinimum, MemorySafetyMargin, and MemoryThreshold.

Reference: Configure Available Memory for Report Server Applications

Best Regards,

Henry 

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 5:44 AM