Bitlocker on "quick" option RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone

I've noticed that when I turn on bitlocker for my attached removable hard disk (1TB) it takes several hours to complete the encryption process - even if I have no data on the disk (empty formatted partition.  I'm wondering if there is a way programmatically or otherwise to do a "quick" encryption enable on a disk without the full pass write that's happening currently.  I don't see this option using the bitlocker management utility or the command line.  

I've tried starting with a formatted disk but still see a full write pass when enabling encryption.

I've tried using diskpart to "clean" the disk before turning on bitlocker but when I do this I'm unable to use the command line or UI (get error message "ERROR: An error occurred (code 0x80070057): The parameter is incorrect." using manage-bde)

I've noticed the Bitlocker API Encrypt method also does not appear to have this option.

Any ideas how I could accomplish this?  I'd like to avoid the need to wait several hours before using for every new disk I insert if possible.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:26 AM