Is there a trial SharePoint version for testing functionality of web-based Access DB? RRS feed

• Question

• After about 17 years of using Access on a desktop, I have just found an excuse to use Access on a web-based platform, and based on my preliminary research, I think SharePoint is the way to go.  Can someone who has used this combination (Access & web-based hosting) confirm if this is a good idea?  I'd like to setup a small database, on a web-based platform, for a team of less than 20 people in a corporate/networked environment. 

Again, I think SharePoint is probably the best option, so I'd like to know if there is a free SharePoint (temporary or trial) option that I can setup and play around with.  If there is no free solution for SharePoint, can someone direct me to a simple tutorial that demonstrates how to use Access as a back-end and implement a simple web-based front-end?  All I need on the front end is some ComboBoxes, TextBoxes, RadioButtons, and CheckBoxes.  This part should be pretty simple.  All I need to do is point these objects to fields, in one single table, on the back-end.

Thanks everyone!!

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:00 PM

Answers

• if one's business does not have sharepoint internally, my suggestion is a 365 account - - whether or not they offer the first 30 days free I can't remember .... although there are a lot of commercial sharepoint hosting out there and I have nothing against them

also recommend Access 2013 or later as it is '365 aware';  plus a good text book covering Access web design as it does not have the classic front/back architecture

• Marked as answer by ryguy72 Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:11 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:29 PM
  • Your link concerns the web server -to- SQL database options for designers using Visual Studio.  It is hard core ASP.net development and would not be regarded as a simple solution if that is the aim per your initial post.

My take is this after some time looking into options: Access Web version is very suitable alternative to enterprises that already have a commitment to SharePoint as an intranet solution.  Access Web is less flexible and with less features/customization than desktop classic Access.  But it can still satisfy many intra company requirements.

I don't tend to view Access Web via SharePoint (including 365) as a public facing solution.

The premier web development solution in the Microsoft family is ASP.net - one is not a casual developer and it is a serious commitment to become expert.

There are commercial web based databases: the grand daddy is QuickBase from Intuit, then there is ParaSQL, Knack, AirTable and Soho.  A few others have come & gone and possibly at this moment there is another new one out there.  In all cases you get-what-you-get in terms of the design alternatives within their conceptual environment - meaning that customization is always within the range of options that they offer. 

my 2 cents....

• Marked as answer by ryguy72 Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:06 PM

All replies

• if one's business does not have sharepoint internally, my suggestion is a 365 account - - whether or not they offer the first 30 days free I can't remember .... although there are a lot of commercial sharepoint hosting out there and I have nothing against them

also recommend Access 2013 or later as it is '365 aware';  plus a good text book covering Access web design as it does not have the classic front/back architecture

• Marked as answer by ryguy72 Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:11 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:29 PM
  • That's one option.  What about something like this?

http://www.asp.net/web-forms/overview/data-access/introduction/creating-a-data-access-layer-cs

Has anyone here used these techniques before?  If I don't have access to Office 265 and/or SharePoint, I suppose the info in that link would work.  If anyone has experience in the area, please post a comment.

Thanks.

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Your link concerns the web server -to- SQL database options for designers using Visual Studio.  It is hard core ASP.net development and would not be regarded as a simple solution if that is the aim per your initial post.

My take is this after some time looking into options: Access Web version is very suitable alternative to enterprises that already have a commitment to SharePoint as an intranet solution.  Access Web is less flexible and with less features/customization than desktop classic Access.  But it can still satisfy many intra company requirements.

I don't tend to view Access Web via SharePoint (including 365) as a public facing solution.

The premier web development solution in the Microsoft family is ASP.net - one is not a casual developer and it is a serious commitment to become expert.

There are commercial web based databases: the grand daddy is QuickBase from Intuit, then there is ParaSQL, Knack, AirTable and Soho.  A few others have come & gone and possibly at this moment there is another new one out there.  In all cases you get-what-you-get in terms of the design alternatives within their conceptual environment - meaning that customization is always within the range of options that they offer. 

my 2 cents....

• Marked as answer by ryguy72 Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:06 PM
  • Thanks a lot!  I just wanted some insight.  Now I've got a few ideas.

Thanks again!!

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:11 PM