App connected with server

Question

• Short description of my app... Example: When user clicks on a title ("Largest prime factor") it should open a new window, senario or whatever it is and show "problem"...

Largest prime factor
    Answer:
     User enter his answ. here
    Largest palindrome product
    Answer:
     User enter his answ. here

So I will be adding new "problems"...  I would write question and answer somewhere in server and app should read it... And add new line, new number, new title and link that title to new scenario and answer box, where user could enter his answer... That answer box should have If statement, to check whether user entered right answer or no... (if answ == correct - do that, Else - do that)... I hope it was clear enough, if not I will try to explain again...

1. How to connect App with server? What kind of server it has to be (VPS, website server (one that I am hosting website on it) some other? And how? Does MS gives some sort of free servers where I could update content and it would reach users (First read question two)? 

2. Can I update content inside the app without updating the app? Ex: When I add some new content somewhere on the server (Question one - How?), it sends that content to app and update it, update titles, etc (Similar to the app that displays News)... I have seen a video where Microsoft Employee showed how to update live titles... 

3. Can I use Microsoft account for login? And how?... Ex: Each user must have his own account, so they can share score and do ranking, etc... So instead of creating a website where they could create account and connecting database with app, I would use Microsoft account -> User login into his MS account and use it to store his score, etc... http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh968445.aspx

4. How does App update works??? 

Sorry for being annoying with questions... Windows Store apps have so many restrictions, so I don't know what is possible to do and what not... 

Off Topic - How to verfy my acc??? I can't paste images and links

• Edited by -Stealth- Monday, October 28, 2013 9:20 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 7:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• 1. Any server reachable by the app (on the internet or intranet). Typically the service will provide some sort of web service connection. See Windows Azure Mobile Services for more information on what Microsoft provides. You can host your own or use other hosters as well.

2. Apps typically query the server for new information when they start up. See HttpClient. The server can also push timely information updates out. See Push notification overview

3. See Quickstart: Connecting to an online identity provider

4. I'm not sure what you mean. Can you please post a new thread with more details.

5. Please see Forums Issues (not product support) for help with account verification.

If you need more details on any of these please post individual threads for each topic with more details about what you are doing and where you need help.

--Rob

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:52 PM
    Owner
  • Hey, I saw MSDN subscribers have free Windows Azure access... Will be something like that available for DreamSpark users as well??? I asked that few months ago and didn't get any answer... 
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:43 PM
  • You'll have to check with DreamSpark. I'm not familiar with the details of the offering.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:45 PM
    Owner