none
Windows Communication Foundation(WCF) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hired to build a Word2010 template; I need to access a database; the corporate standard is Windows Communication Foundation(WCF) and I learned how to pronounce it this morning. My client has a fallback in old Word VBA code which will access the database directly, but the corporate preference is to use WCF. I'm OK with all of that.

An initial search of the web (30 minutes) came up with these links of interest to me:- (deleted, I can't post links yet, but go to EileensLounge and look at the links in my post from earlier this morning Monday May 27 2-013)

If, like me, you have not a clue, you might find that the general thrust is to use Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO) rather than VBA.
    OK. I could dive into VSTO, if my client wants me to, or I could do the old-fashioned direct access to the database; it's their money, so they call the tune.

Question: Has anyone in here ever managed to, or heard of someone who has managed to access WCF directly from a Word (or even Excel) VBA project? :scratch:

If the act is physically impossible I'll cease research and suggest direct db access to the client.

I know so little about VSTO, and zilch about WCF. I'm a fast learner, but hate hammering my head against a brick wall.
    Monday, May 27, 2013 7:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your participation in this forum.

It seems that this thread is a discussion of similar question:

How do I call WCF client from Excel 2003 VBA?

And furthermore, I move this thread to Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) forum because there might be more experts familiar with calling WCF service using VBA. Your understanding will be appreciated.

Regards,

Damon Zheng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Hi Damon; Thanks for moving the thread (seems to be the first thing that happens to every newbie on any board) and for the suggestion.

I wandered off to browse the links you posted.

Again, many thanks.

Friday, May 31, 2013 11:20 AM