Solution file in wrong place? RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I create a new project in VBE 2008 it creates a .sln file outside if the folder that has all the project files.  For some reason on my current project that I have been working on for while, the solution file (.sln) is inside the folder with all the project files.  I don't know if it's been there all along or if it got moved some how.  If loads ok from there, but if I try to move it outside the folder, it says it can't find the project.

Also, when I try to load it into VBE 2010 it convert it, it gives an error saying it can't convert the .vbproj file.

Are these 2 problems related?   How do I fix it?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Juxpin,

I do not have a VM with the Express version ready, but I think it is exactly the same behaviour to the other Visual Studio Editions.

When you create a new Solution / Project, you can decide if you want to have the solution inside the project directory (Nice if you only have one project) or if you want a solution directory and projects are subdirectories inside the solution directory (Which is nice, if you have multiple projects in one solution).

The Option is called "Create directory for solution". If you remove the flag there, then you only get one directory for your project, which contains the project and solution file.

Regarding the conversion error: Can you give more details pls? If I am correct, you should get a Upgradelog.xml file next to your solution file that also contains the errors.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by juxpin Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Juxpin,

I do not have a VM with the Express version ready, but I think it is exactly the same behaviour to the other Visual Studio Editions.

When you create a new Solution / Project, you can decide if you want to have the solution inside the project directory (Nice if you only have one project) or if you want a solution directory and projects are subdirectories inside the solution directory (Which is nice, if you have multiple projects in one solution).

The Option is called "Create directory for solution". If you remove the flag there, then you only get one directory for your project, which contains the project and solution file.

Regarding the conversion error: Can you give more details pls? If I am correct, you should get a Upgradelog.xml file next to your solution file that also contains the errors.

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by juxpin Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Ijust tried it again and it worked this time.

I think the problem was when I was loading it into 2010 I was selecting the .sln file that I had copied to outside the folder with all the project files instead of the real one inside the folder.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:49 PM