Performance diff Between vb and vb.net RRS feed

• Question

• Hai,

Can any one help me? how to find the Performance difference between vb and vb.net for the same coding?

OR

Can any one tell me, What is the performance diff between vb and vb.net?

Thanks in Advance

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 1:21 PM

Answers

• The performance comparison depends on what you are trying to do. It also depends on whether you are using the .Net way of doing things or the VB way. One example would be the difference between FSO and System.IO for file manipulation. The best thing to do is to try several comparable methods and see for yourself the performance differences.

One thing to note: Make sure to use the release build rather than debug build when doing performance comparisons. Also, make sure to eliminate the JIT as a factor in your computations. Feel free to post your findings.

Jim Wooley
    http://devauthority.com/blogs/jwooley

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 3:29 PM
  • Thats a rather open ended question....

"Performance difference between VB and VB.NET" - which specific version are we looking at and what code examples.   I think you may find that you need to be a lot more specific to even stand a chance of an realistic answer.

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 3:31 PM

All replies

• The performance comparison depends on what you are trying to do. It also depends on whether you are using the .Net way of doing things or the VB way. One example would be the difference between FSO and System.IO for file manipulation. The best thing to do is to try several comparable methods and see for yourself the performance differences.

One thing to note: Make sure to use the release build rather than debug build when doing performance comparisons. Also, make sure to eliminate the JIT as a factor in your computations. Feel free to post your findings.

Jim Wooley
    http://devauthority.com/blogs/jwooley

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 3:29 PM
  • Thats a rather open ended question....

"Performance difference between VB and VB.NET" - which specific version are we looking at and what code examples.   I think you may find that you need to be a lot more specific to even stand a chance of an realistic answer.

Wednesday, April 5, 2006 3:31 PM
  • Thankx Guys,

I knew, this is not a Technical Problem.

But I need some remarkable points for the Project Analysis.

I am trying with some Project oriented specification.

I hope I can get something.

Once again Thanks

Thursday, April 6, 2006 5:13 AM