none
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException (0x80040E4D): No error message available, result code: DB_SEC_E_AUTH_FAILED(0x80040E4D) RRS feed

• Question

• I am using c# and .NET 4.0

I am also using XSD file to access data from Access 2003 database, everything works fine on Windows 7, but when I run this program on XP with Portuguese (Brazil) language I get the following error, it works fine with English US.  There are several other database reads prior to this one which work just fine so it's not the connection string that's the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem? (it's on customer's computer so I can't run it in Visual Studio)

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException (0x80040E4D): No error message available, result code: DB_SEC_E_AUTH_FAILED(0x80040E4D).
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
       at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
       at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
       at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable)

Peter

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:49 AM

Answers

• I've used OleDb call instead of the XSD file and it workes, which is strange because I have other calls, before and after the problem call using the XSD file and they work just fine.

Unfortunately I can not trouble shoot the problem, because this occurs only for one person and he is in Brazil and I am in USA. All other users are on Win 7 and they do not have this problem.

Peter

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Welcome!

You can refer here about the error: DB_SEC_E_AUTH_FAILED 

=========================

// MessageId: DB_SEC_E_AUTH_FAILED
    //
    // MessageText:
    //
    //  Authentication failed.
    //
    #define DB_SEC_E_AUTH_FAILED             ((HRESULT)0x80040E4DL)

=========================

I think the connection string may be influenced by language, so please try to follow Martin's reply: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/csharpgeneral/thread/3114f214-c72e-4e78-9ce7-d5dba8dae0f7

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:52 AM
  • The problem is there are calls in the program to the database prior to the error and they work, so I don't think it's the connection string.  And everything works fine on Windows 7 with the same config file.

I will change the program to use OleDb call instead of the XSD file and see if the customer will get the same error.

Peter

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi Peter,

When you use XSD file, you should check "Setting.Designer.cs" file in Properties folder in your solution. There is a setting for connection string, make sure "\\" or "@" in your connection string. thanks.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates for your question?

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:37 AM
  • I've used OleDb call instead of the XSD file and it workes, which is strange because I have other calls, before and after the problem call using the XSD file and they work just fine.

Unfortunately I can not trouble shoot the problem, because this occurs only for one person and he is in Brazil and I am in USA. All other users are on Win 7 and they do not have this problem.

Peter

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:44 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Thanks for your feedback.

Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:46 AM