none
Running 2007 runtime on Linux

Question

• A new client of mine is considering setting up a terminal server running Linux.  Is there a way to get Access 2003 or 2007 runtime to run?

/Joe

Monday, October 11, 2010 2:17 PM

Answers

• "Model_m" wrote in message news:4ddaa0a6-dc87-4c0f-a759-ba737cf7f0c4@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Albert,

Running browser based applications, do you run into problems of data inegrity like you would running a split DB over a WAN?

/Joe

No, there no problems over a wan at all, since data really never leaves the server, and you taking about a web browser interface. So, data can no more corrupt then when you purchase a book on www.amazon.com.

The Access Web services system allows you to scale out to 1000's of users without any issues with data integrity (or scaling in terms of number of users).  This is true cloud scalable architecture here (the forms produced by access are actually .net forms). The resulting application can run on just about any computer that supports a standard compliant browser.

No activeX or Silverlight or ANY kind of download is required on the web side. As noted, I have tested these Access web applications running under an Firefox browser running on an Linux box (Ubuntu). I also run these applications on an iPad (Safari).

However, you do have to be running what is called Access Web Services on the server side. This system requires SharePoint.

It likely not practical to adopt the SharePoint platform to just run one Access Application (no more so then adopting an expensive Oracle system to run one little application).

However, for the many organizations that have adopted and deployed SharePoint, then Access Web services is certainly a possible choice here to allow platform neutral consumption of an application that you build for the web in Access.

--
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Pleasenospam_kallal@msn.com
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, October 18, 2010 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:46 AM

All replies

• "Model_m" wrote in message news:3a20b74a-4642-489f-b94f-01624397f7a4@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

A new client of mine is considering setting up a terminal server running Linux.  Is there a way to get Access 2003 or 2007 runtime to run?

/Joe

The requirements for the runtime are no different than the full version of Access. So this is the same question of running Access here. You likely would have to try a Linux group to see if this possible, as I doubt anyone here can help much. Last time I looked there was the WINE project on Linux and it did allow some windows programs to run, and that system likely improved a lot since I last looked.

You can also consider using Access 2010 and creating a web based version. That resulting web based version of the application can most certainly be consumed by just about any web enabled device from smartphones to the iPad. In fact, I tested some of my web based access applications on both Ubuntu Linux running FireFox and also on an Apple iPad running Safari (the Access application ran PERFECT on both Linux box and Apple iPad and the rendering was also excellent).

Here is a video of the application, and at the half way point, I start running the Access application in s standard browser.

So, just keep in mind, asking about the runtime, or full version of Access is the SAME question and the SAME requirements exist. So, try asking in some of the Linux groups to see what comes up, especially with regards to wine. As noted, you not likely going to find anyone here who can help you with Linux and the status of the wine project here.

The web based versions of Access applications most certainly can run (consumed) on non windows computers such as Mac or Linux but the hosting of the Access application will have to be on Windows SharePoint.

--
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Monday, October 11, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Model_m wrote:

A new client of mine is considering setting up a terminal server running Linux.  Is there a way to get Access 2003 or 2007 runtime to run?

There is a product called Wine http://www.winehq.org/ which is attempting to
    implement the Windows API in Linux.  However 1) as you can imagine it's a monumental
    task and trying to hit a moving target as new versions of Windows come out 2) they
    seem to concentrate on getting the Windows games running smoothly.  Which only makes
    sense after all.

Last time I looked Access and Office apps hardly ran for longer then 2 or 3 seconds
    or wouldn't install or whatever.

Tony

Monday, October 11, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Albert,

Running browser based applications, do you run into problems of data inegrity like you would running a split DB over a WAN?

/Joe

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:20 AM
  • "Model_m" wrote in message news:4ddaa0a6-dc87-4c0f-a759-ba737cf7f0c4@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Albert,

/Joe

No, there no problems over a wan at all, since data really never leaves the server, and you taking about a web browser interface. So, data can no more corrupt then when you purchase a book on www.amazon.com.

The Access Web services system allows you to scale out to 1000's of users without any issues with data integrity (or scaling in terms of number of users).  This is true cloud scalable architecture here (the forms produced by access are actually .net forms). The resulting application can run on just about any computer that supports a standard compliant browser.

No activeX or Silverlight or ANY kind of download is required on the web side. As noted, I have tested these Access web applications running under an Firefox browser running on an Linux box (Ubuntu). I also run these applications on an iPad (Safari).

However, you do have to be running what is called Access Web Services on the server side. This system requires SharePoint.

It likely not practical to adopt the SharePoint platform to just run one Access Application (no more so then adopting an expensive Oracle system to run one little application).

However, for the many organizations that have adopted and deployed SharePoint, then Access Web services is certainly a possible choice here to allow platform neutral consumption of an application that you build for the web in Access.

--
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Monday, October 18, 2010 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:46 AM