Showing Progress control while navigating from one page to another page.

Question

• Hello Guys,

I need to show Progress control when user navigates from one page to another page.

I have Progress Ring which is inside Grid control and this Grid control under Root Grid Control.

Can you please let me know how can I achieve this?

Need help..

Thanks,

Vinay

Monday, May 19, 2014 6:06 PM

Answers

• What is the specific scenario for this? Ideally you can fix up the loading so that it occurs quickly and doesn't need a placeholder. If you can quickly load something for the user and then load the rest in the background that will be a better user experience.

You can't have a progress control show while you navigate away from the page the control is on. Depending on the specific use you can have it show before the navigation (place it on the original page), after the navigation (show it on the target page), or show it continuously (place it on a parent page that doesn't navigate).

For the latter (on the target page) you can start it running as soon as the page is navigate to and then branch out to asynchronously load whatever you are waiting on.

For the last (on a parent page) you can use a root frame which hosts sub-navigation. I discuss this sort of framework in my blog entry Frame of reference: keeping the music playing across pages . The code there uses a MediaElement, but you can swap that out for your Progress Ring.

--Rob

Monday, May 19, 2014 7:17 PM
    Owner