VS2015 / Windows 10 Tool Versioning Problem?

Question

• Been fighting this one all day. I'm thinking somebody who better understands VS project templates might have a lead for me...

I'm running Win10 Tech Preview.  It seems to be just fine.  I installed VS2015 CTP6 then Tools for Windows 10 Tech Preview.  Both from here:

http://dev.windows.com/en-US/windows-10-developer-preview-tools

VS2015 lists "Templates > Visual C# > Store Apps > Windows UAP > BlankApplication" for a new project. If I select it, I get:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio
    The vstemplate file references the wizard class 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.WinRT.TemplateWizards.PlatformVersion.Wizard', which does not exist in the assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.WinRT.TemplateWizards, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'.
    OK  

So... what am I missing here?  Since I'm no template developer, I can only guess at what this is talking about.  Should the template be working for me?

I'll point out I've been uninstalling/installing/repairing VS2015 CTP6 and the Win10 Tools in various combinations, with rebooting in-between, all day hoping this would fix itself.

Thanks!

-- kburgoyne

-- kburgoyne

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:41 AM

Answers

• It doesn't work for me, but however C++ works... just not C#. This is a 'preview' kit, so there will be errors. You can perfectly use C++ for developing kits, however no XAML 'Preview' works, so it is all code at the moment. 

Just close the Diagnostic tab after debug to fix "can not write" error after debugging.

To use C++, start a New Project and do the following
    [Installed > Templates > Other Languages > Visual C++ > Windows 10 >]
    and there are several templates to use. The main difference I commonly mistake is namespaces use '::' instead of '.'. You can easily switch to C++ with well knowledge of any other programming language.

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:54 AM

All replies

• It doesn't work for me, but however C++ works... just not C#. This is a 'preview' kit, so there will be errors. You can perfectly use C++ for developing kits, however no XAML 'Preview' works, so it is all code at the moment. 

Just close the Diagnostic tab after debug to fix "can not write" error after debugging.

To use C++, start a New Project and do the following
    [Installed > Templates > Other Languages > Visual C++ > Windows 10 >]
    and there are several templates to use. The main difference I commonly mistake is namespaces use '::' instead of '.'. You can easily switch to C++ with well knowledge of any other programming language.

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:54 AM
  • Thanks!  Just knowing it's not supposed to work, and that it's not something I screwed up, saves a ton of time!  :-)

-- kburgoyne

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 1:49 PM