OCIEnvCreate error RRS feed

• Question

• User1400712404 posted

I have developed an application on the same server as an Oracle database.  This setup works perfectly fine.  What I am now attempting to do is move the application to a different server and leave the database where it is.  The server which now has the application also has Oracle installed on it, so I don't know if that is helping to contribute to my problems.  This is the error message I am receiving 'OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available"  telling me it can't create the connection.  I have searched the web up and down but haven't been able to get this to work.  I believe I have the correct permissions set, after all things worked flawlessly before moving the application.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the tnsnames file on the application server or the ORACLE_HOME environment variable?  I'm stumped and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 2:26 PM

All replies

• User558493921 posted

plz check out listner configured properly or not. What is the version of oracle. Plz reply me so that i can check out and i will give u the answer

Thank u

Baba 

Thursday, September 6, 2007 5:21 AM
  • User1400712404 posted

I ran into some other issues and just got things back online.  Anyway, after resinstalling things on this machine I still receive the error.  I believe the listener is setup properly because I can use Toad from other machines without a problem.  Or, is it possible that the listener configuration could still be the cause?

Are there other things I should look into?

I'm using Ora92...

Thanks!

Monday, September 10, 2007 2:31 PM
  • User1400712404 posted

I think I may have solved my issue....I haven't fully tested it yet, but I believe it was due to my Oracle_Home variable.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:42 PM
  • User1810039979 posted

What did you do to solve your problem?  What is this Oracle_Home variable?

I'm having a similar issue.  My .net application hosted on one of our IT's servers was working, then last Monday I got an error message saying that Oracle version 8.1.7 or higher was required.  Our IT group installed Oracle Client 10.2.0.1, reset permissions, and modified the registry, and now we get the OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available message. 

Any ideas?

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:51 PM
  • User1400712404 posted

What did you do to solve your problem?  What is this Oracle_Home variable?

I'm having a similar issue.  My .net application hosted on one of our IT's servers was working, then last Monday I got an error message saying that Oracle version 8.1.7 or higher was required.  Our IT group installed Oracle Client 10.2.0.1, reset permissions, and modified the registry, and now we get the OCIEnvCreate failed with return code -1 but error message text was not available message. 

Any ideas?

Just to clarify... did you get the error message after they upgraded to 10.2.0.1 and it was working fine with 8.1.7?  Or, did it stop working before the upgrade?  Well, the oracle_home variable on a windows machine is found under system properties -- advanced properties tab -- environment variables.  The oracle_home variable should be set there as the path to oracle.  In my case I actually have two different versions of Oracle on this one particular server and with the new version installed it needed the variable set to that path which is where my error stemmed from; it wasn't able to find Oracle.  

It seems possible that depending on when things were done this could be the case.  Be sure to restart the server after adjusting the oracle_home variable if it appears to be incorrect.  I hope this helps... 

Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:24 PM
  • User1810039979 posted

Thanks for your reply.  The upgrade was made after the problem started occurring.  Our IT has been unable to pinpoint a change or event coinciding with the error message.  I'll ask them to check the oracle_home variable either way.  Thanks for your suggestion.

-steve

Friday, November 30, 2007 1:17 PM
  • User-977162190 posted

I was getting exactly the same error and it was driving me mad. If it helps, all I did was add the missing ORACLE_HOME env variable and point it towards the appropriate folder (in my case: D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1) then reset the server. It worked OK afterwards. Good luck. 

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:15 PM
  • User656177920 posted

64bit vs 32bit ?

I was having that problem with oracle 64bit client but the application pool was running in 32bit mode.

Changed to 64bit and voilá!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:17 PM