IIS on xp home-use cassini or Web Platform Installer or ASP.Net MVc1 or IIS RRS feed

• Question

• User88892490 posted

Hello! I am installing Visual Studio Enterprise Architect 2002 on xp home sp3.  In order to use the product I need to get IIS installed .

My question:  Do I really need IIS? Or  would  one of the following work : Cassin Web Server For Net 1.1,  ASP.Net MVC1, Microsoft Web Platform Installer ( I have Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express also on the machine)..or should I use some of the server software I got with  Visual Studio-Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 Developer Version,Host Integration Server 2000 Developer Version, Commerce Server 2000 eveloper Version, BizTalk Server 2000 Developer Version, Windows 2000 Server.

I would like to have the full use of all the features of Enterprise Architect to do ASP.Net projects and write other apps, such as C# probably desktop, but maybe distributed. I do not want to spend a lot of time on a project only to find out I should have had IIS from the beginning.

Do I need XP Professional?

I understand that 2002 is no longer supported, but I got a deal on a brand new shrink wrapped full retail box. Most developers have 2002 or 2003 installed along with newer versions, so I am not alone.

Another question ; Since I purchased Visaul Studio 2002 new, Am I entitled to free installation support?

Friday, November 27, 2009 7:49 PM

Answers

• User1439985827 posted

Visaul Studio 2002 new, Am I entitled to free installation support

No. Visual Studio 2002 is not supported anymore in any way (mainstream or extended), so you are not entitled to any supported, installation or otherwise.

Do I need XP Professional?

If you want to make full use of it's features, then yes. Visual Studio 2002 or 2003 can not use Cassini. Visual Studio 2005+ comes with Cassini-inspired software so you could use Visual Studio 2005+ on Windows XP Home.

I'd highly recommend you check out the Express Editions of Visual Studio 2008: http://www.microsoft.com/express/product/

They are free, up to date with the latest technologies and contain better functionality than Visual Studio 2002.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:16 PM