MOSS 2007-Approval Workflow Status Column is sometimes blank RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to help fellow colleague with an issue they are having with the workflow status column in their form template library being blank when it should be In Progress or Completed. 

The workflow is a simple one step approval workflow that is kicked off when infopath form is uploaded. Workflow only starts when item is created, not changed.

In versioning settings, I have turned on content approval. In workflow settings, I have checked "Update the approval status (use this workflow to control content approval)".

Sometimes when users upload new form, the workflow runs fine and the status column on the "All Documents" view is accurate to where the workflow is. Other times, it is completely  blank. I cannot discern a pattern. Also, I have looked at workflow histories on the ones that are blank and they have no errors associated within them. All show that they have been completed successfully.

Any ideas what might be causing the issue?

Thanks,

Eric

Monday, October 31, 2011 8:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

Through internal resources, there is a known issue that, there are two different custom workflows that run on all items in a form library, as soon as the workflow initiates, the status shows in the column for that workflow, intermittently, the status does not show even through the workflow is running or completed successfully.

The cause of the problem seems to be a race condition between the event that updates the workflow status for a list item, and the event that updates the rest of the properties for the list item. Sometimes the workflow status gets updated first, and then the update for the rest of the form properties overwrites the value.

Please check whether it is the issue, if so, a considerable workaround is to remove the status column, create a column and set the value to view workflow reports page, use the view workflow report page to see workflow state.

Thanks,
    Qiao

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:34 AM