none
Import mails from customized e-mail client into Oultook interface RRS feed

• Question

• The client has a customized e-mail client with a web interface.
    It is required to import the e-mails and folder structure into Outlook 2013 interface in a separate tab, without connecting the e-mail account to Outlook (as usually connect an yahoo or gmail account).

The import will be made using methods from a web service which provides information like folder structure, From, To, Date etc. The service returns this in DataTable format.

How can I display the e-mails form the custom e-mail client into Outlook interface, using the information from the web service?
    Friday, October 24, 2014 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hello Lucian,

It looks like you need to develop an Outlook add-in with custom forms. Unfortunately the Outlook Form Regions are for inspector windows only (or Reading pane). You can use Windows API functions for subclassing Outlook windows - see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/stephen_griffin/archive/2010/06/01/adjacent-windows-in-outlook.aspx .

Also you may customize a home page for the folder or use third-party components for adding custom forms. Please refer to the following https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/1e9c40c5-da15-4de8-9381-35579eaa115a/display-my-information-inside-outlook-revisited?forum=outlookdev forum thread for more information.

On the form you can use any .Net components such as GridView and etc.
    Friday, October 24, 2014 8:18 PM
  • In order to be more specific, the general idea is how can I programmatically display into Outlook interface mails from a certain e-mail client?
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Did you have a chance to look at the links I mentioned in my previous reply?

First of all, you need to develop an Outlook add-in with a custom form. You may consider your Outlook add-in as a regular windows forms application where you can use standard Windows Forms controls. You receive the data from the web service and display it on the Outlook form, a windows form or user control (adjacent windows or any other, refer to the display my information inside outlook - revisited forum thread for more information).

Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:10 PM