Why can't you use user defined data types in MDS? RRS feed

• Question

• As a newbie to MDS, is there a way to leverage user defined data types with extended properties in MDS that defines attribute definition?
    Sunday, November 30, 2014 3:18 PM

Answers

• Right now MDS supports only four datatypes.I think it's not because they cannot add new datatypes for attributes but probably they wanted to make end users life easier.. as they can create/edit models too.
    Monday, December 1, 2014 9:56 PM

All replies

• Right now leveraging user defined data type is not supported in MDS.

Can you elaborate on what kind of user defined data you want to use?

-Nithesh Shetty Software Engineer, C & E -> IMML -> MDS, Microsoft.

Monday, December 1, 2014 6:55 AM
  • I use user defined data types as a form of Master Metadata Management since it leverages the concepts of Ontology and Taxonomy in the enterprise. It uses metadata in the same way as traditional Ontology and Taxonomy data definitions. Go figure, metadata is just another form of data.

Master Metadata Management is a proactive way to strongly type application attributes inheriting the associated characteristics (defaults and check constraints). Developing an enterprise metadata repository as a corporate layer to build strongly typed standard application attributes across the enterprise databases with easy type inference.

Steve Hoberman’s Article Ontology and Taxonomy;

Gordon Everest, professor emeritus, provides this succinct explanation: “The synonym for ontology would be model (of something in data), and the synonym for taxonomy would be tree.” Robert Ruffin, data architect, offers this example: “The taxonomy of a tiger is that it is a subtype of cat (classification), but an ontological description may be that the tiger has a relationship to Asia, the continent on which it lives.”

An ontology is a formal way of organizing information. It includes putting things into categories and relating these categories with each other. The most quoted definition of ontology is from Tom Gruber: “Explicit specification of a conceptualization.” In other words, an ontology is a model - a model being a simplification of something complex in our environment using a standard set of symbols. Kinds of ontologies include but are not limited to glossaries, data dictionaries and, yes, even data models.

Monday, December 1, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Right now MDS supports only four datatypes.I think it's not because they cannot add new datatypes for attributes but probably they wanted to make end users life easier.. as they can create/edit models too.
    Monday, December 1, 2014 9:56 PM
  • As a newbie to MDS,  I need to do more reading about the topic of MDS.  I have used CA ERwin which is a data modeling tool.  There are other  data modeling tools such as Embarcadero and SAP S-Designer. 

The entities seem to be flattened composite objects which appear to breakdown to Parent/child relationships through foreign keys.  I am trying to understand the value of the tool and whether to use it or not.

Is MDS Microsoft's SOA implementation of Canonical data modeling?  Why are there only 4 datatypes when there are many more supported by SQL Server.  Is it just my ignorance of tool? In Master data services is the data more important than the metadata that defines it?

Very confused.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:07 AM