none
RDP Certificate Expiration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Unexpectedly we started having RDP issues in the field because certificates started to expire (I never even knew it was a ticking time bomb).

WES7 is locked via FBWF but once it's unlocked for servicing, the expiration kicks in and field engineers are locked out.  Needless to say this is a very urgent issues.  So I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a setting that prevents the expiration from happening (or takes away the reliance on this certificate)?
    2. Is there a way to manually generate a certificate that can be deployed across all systems?  And if yes, can I pick my own date?

I already read up on deleting the certificate from MMC and then restarting the RDP Service to generate a new one but the expiration date even on the new one is just 6 months away to this is yet another time bomb.  Would really like a different solution.

Thank you!

• Edited by Kirko77 Tuesday, June 11, 2019 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 2:54 PM

All replies

• I suggest that you reach out to your Microsoft distributor as they will be getting hit with this issue from other customers. There might be a Microsoft solution they know about.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:20 PM
  • Thanks!

I already got a response on the Windows IoT forum.  I will be trying the suggestions today.  Hopefully will work.

Edit:

It looks like we might have a different issue on our hands isolated to only a couple of units.  Turns out that when the default certificate expires, Windows simply automatically generates a new one.  If Windows is locked, it generates it for every start session (since it can't save it to disk).  And this is what I'm seeing in the lab.  One (or 2) systems in the field for some reason don't auto generate it, even if you delete it.  So it's a different issue and not related to this topic.

Thanks!

• Edited by Kirko77 Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:22 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Looks like you have an answer from the other forum. Can you share here?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, June 14, 2019 9:08 PM