Virtual Earth / Google Maps / Microsoft Dynamics CRM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone. First of all, I hope this is the correct place to post this, I am a noob both in these very forums AND as a developer (I only started working as an IT developer a few days ago).

I have been asked by my employer to analyse what option we should use in order to provide a road planner for our sales reps, based on information grabbed from Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Now, I have reached the conclusion that the three options are MapPoint Web Services, Virtual Earth and Google Maps, BUT I am a bit unsure about how these three apps would fit into our intranet. The questions are:

1. Do I assume that since MapPoint Web Services is based on XML SOAP, importing XML data from our Intranet/CRM should be fairly easy, while both Google Earth (with his AJAX approach) and Virtual Earth would be more problematic? That data would be mainly Postcodes for locations in the UK.

2. Do I assume that MapPoint would be overkill for our purposes (simply showing the daily route to our sales reps), while Virtual Earth would be a cheaper/more logical option?

3. Is the Virtual Earth API based on Ajax, making it very similar to Google Maps?

Mainly, I want to know how XML integration between CRM and any of the three apps would work…

Thanks in advance guys Smile

David

Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:19 AM

Answers

• If you become a Virtual Earth Licensed user, then automatically you will have access to MapPoint Web services - at no extra costs.

Virtual Earth maps are far superior to MapPoint maps. Virtual Earth uses a web handler .ashx for all its needs, but AJAX calls to MapPoint can be used to beef it up at back end and add functionality to it.

So, depending on your needs, Virtual Earth combined with MapPoint web services can make an awsome mapping solution.

Check out the following link http://www.crmwatcher.com/2006/11/virtual-earth-3d-maps-integration-in.html

Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:13 PM

All replies

• If you become a Virtual Earth Licensed user, then automatically you will have access to MapPoint Web services - at no extra costs.

Virtual Earth maps are far superior to MapPoint maps. Virtual Earth uses a web handler .ashx for all its needs, but AJAX calls to MapPoint can be used to beef it up at back end and add functionality to it.

So, depending on your needs, Virtual Earth combined with MapPoint web services can make an awsome mapping solution.

Check out the following link http://www.crmwatcher.com/2006/11/virtual-earth-3d-maps-integration-in.html

Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:13 PM
  • Hi Amir, thanks a lot for the explanation Smile

Still, I am quite tended to go for the google option mainly because of its capabilities of changing routes on the fly by simply dragging it... something that would be really handy to our reps... While Virtual Earth seems quite limited, at least in its Live Maps iteration...

But again, thanks a bunch Smile

David

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:21 PM