Tab stop and Z-ordered(index) ignored WM6 professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

Not sure what I'm missing. This is a new problem. I'm using Visual Studio 2008 Pro Edition. On a form targetinging 6SDK, .NET 2.0. My z-order is correct. Tab stops are set to true. Text box control is enabled. I've tried creating a new form just to test setup unsure of problem. Clean project with just two text boxes, still no tab function.

Any WM 6 program that I run in Visual Studio where the tab function worked fine becomes disabled. However, tab within specific controls are working properly, ie: list box, two radio buttons in the same panel. Form will not "selection next". The five direction controller does not work from Control to Control.

I have tested desktop programs and the tab functions work properly. Also opened a WM 6 standard app with correct platform targeted and the tabs & navigation worked fine.

Tried different settings: changed Key Preview, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Update:tabs work fine if using desktop keyboard & on device keyboard. I thought the device navigation 5-way was a default buit-in behavior?
    I'll see if I somehow over rid this natural behavior.

Thanks

• Edited by Dribblegirl Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:43 PM
    • Changed type warrentang Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:54 AM
    • Changed type warrentang Friday, October 2, 2009 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:20 PM

Answers

• >> For example from one text box to text box to list box.

The Up/Down keys won't change focus for some controls (such as textbox, combobox, etc.) on Windows Mobile Professional devices. A Professional device has touch screen; some even have a QWERTY keyboard. As you can see, Professional devices has more input options, so the Up/Down is not designed to work like a Standard device which usually has a keypad only.

On professional device, the job of switching focus among controls is the TAB/Shift+TAB key, either on SIP or QWERTY keyboard. If you want a control such as textbox on Professional devices to response to Up/Down key, you can process the keydown event and then send a VK_TAB to the control itself.

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    • Marked as answer by Dribblegirl Friday, October 2, 2009 4:23 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Just to clarify, do you mean the Tab Index of the controls rather than the Z-Order?

Thanks

Paul Diston

http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Actually, both are fine and in the correct order. The phone  will only accept input  via  desktop and phone keyboard. The 5way Action navigation only works in specific controls. Listbox, radio, etc. I don't remember this behaviour on on WM6 Professional & Classic programs.

Thanks
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Do you mean the Up/Down won't not change focus to adjacent controls? Does it work if you create a new form with only two Buttons? Have you tried it on an actual device?
    Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community members.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:13 PM
  • We are changing the issue type to "General Discussion" because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to "Question". If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:54 AM
  • Correct. The Up/Down won't change focus to the next control. For example from one text box to text box to list box. However, the Up/Down will work in existing controls ie. from one radio to another OR selections within a listbox or selections within a menu. Works fine in Standard. This behaviour is only in Professional/Classic. Tried a clean form & new project and still same odd behaviour of non tabbing.

After all this time, I beginning to wonder if it was my imagination and the UP/Down/Left/Right only worked WITHIN specific controls, and Standard.

Thank you for following up.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:32 PM
  • >> For example from one text box to text box to list box.

The Up/Down keys won't change focus for some controls (such as textbox, combobox, etc.) on Windows Mobile Professional devices. A Professional device has touch screen; some even have a QWERTY keyboard. As you can see, Professional devices has more input options, so the Up/Down is not designed to work like a Standard device which usually has a keypad only.

On professional device, the job of switching focus among controls is the TAB/Shift+TAB key, either on SIP or QWERTY keyboard. If you want a control such as textbox on Professional devices to response to Up/Down key, you can process the keydown event and then send a VK_TAB to the control itself.

• Marked as answer by Dribblegirl Friday, October 2, 2009 4:23 PM
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:02 AM