Replacement for Expression web RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a replacement for expression web that has the tool "Page Include"?

Bill

Friday, July 29, 2016 11:49 AM

All replies

• What is Page Include?  Never heard of it.  Provide a link.
    Friday, July 29, 2016 1:53 PM
  • No need for a replacement (and none exists anyway). EW4 has Page Includes built in. First, click on "View|Toolbars|Standard" to show the Standard toolbar. Now, place your cursor wherever in the page you want the include to appear (either source code or design view, although source code is easier and more accurate). Then click the "Page Include" icon on the Standard toolbar, here (fifth from right end of toolbar):

This will invoke the "Include Page Properties" dialog, where you can browse to the location of the included page content, like this:

After you select it, the content between the <body> tags of that page will be inserted at the cursor location.

There you go. Give that a shot and you should be good to go.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Friday, July 29, 2016 5:57 PM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 5:56 PM
  • I'm not sure if this thread is going the way the OP wanted, as he asked for a "replacement" rather than how to do it in EW... But perhaps I've read that wrong?

Looking at the provided answer - doesn't this create Frontpage style "webbot bot..." dodgy code that most people would want to get away from? For me it doesn't pass HTML5 compatibility tests.

Saturday, July 30, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Scott was answering your question, not the OP (who already knew what an include was and how to do it).

There is nothing "dodgy" about the include code.  They are simply HTML comments that EW understands what to do with and that browsers ignore. The compatibility warning is not HTML5 specific, or even Include Page specific.  It simply recognizes the "webbot" in the comment and warns that FrontPage components might not work cross-browser.   EW kept the syntax (webbot), but this is not a component that runs on the server using FrontPage Server extensions, and is not anything that creates incompatible HTML: you write the HTML the include page has, so if there are any cross-browser issues, you put them there. In other words, you can ignore that warning.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Saturday, July 30, 2016 6:17 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Scott was answering your question, not the OP (who already knew what an include was and how to do it)....

Hi Kathleen,
    Thanks for the reply - I hadn't actually asked a question though?
    Sunday, July 31, 2016 9:25 AM
  • Sorry, mogulman52's question.

Kathleen Wilber

Sunday, July 31, 2016 6:17 PM
  • I actually do not want to away from EW. I have many, many, many "Page Includes" over 35. I have added more and not the preview fails.  Am I running into a memory issue or a limit on the number of "Page Includes" in any one page or the depth of the "Page Includes"?

Bill

• Edited by foxwlf Sunday, July 31, 2016 8:39 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2016 8:38 PM
  • I actually do not want to away from EW. I have many, many, many "Page Includes" over 35. I have added more and not the preview fails.  Am I running into a memory issue or a limit on the number of "Page Includes" in any one page or the depth of the "Page Includes"?

Bill

Sunday, July 31, 2016 8:39 PM
  • There is no way to know what limit you are reaching. I doubt there is a built in limit for page includes, but I also doubt that it was ever intended for or tested with as many as you are using.  Did you see my earlier reply? If you really have common areas you want on many or most pages, DWTs would be a better choice, or server-side includes (which take EW's processing out of the picture, but which won't display in Design View).

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, July 31, 2016 10:07 PM
    Sunday, July 31, 2016 10:06 PM