Windows 8.1 / IE 11 Touch issue on the top navigation with dropdown RRS feed

• Question

• I have top navigation bar with child level dropdown as well as grand child level dropdown.

This works fine in hover events with non touch devices as well touch devices except IE 11 browser.

Issues are below,

1. But If I am working in windows 8.1/ IE 11 touch environment the dropdown disappears less then a second.
    2. To fix issue #1, I had added the aria-haspopup=true. Now the issue #1 is resolved by displaying the dropdown until we have touch any where outside the navigation bar and dropdown.
    3. Now the new issue arises, link in the dropdown works only when we double-tap on the link.
    4. On debugging this double-tap issue I came to know aria-haspopup attribute injecting this issue.

Can anyone please help on this ?

Thanks in advance. 

Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Ratheesh.Narayanan,

Thanks for posting here.

Based on your description, so your current issue is you don't want to double-tap to activate the link. You want to use your customizing way such as one tap.

If my understanding is right, I have to say that the double-tap is by design since IE10 on Windows 8.  From this MSDN document , we can know that starting with Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8, we can use the aria-haspopup property to indicate that an element has hidden hover content, so that IE simulates a hover on the first tap, rather than activating the link. If aria-haspopup is specified on the element with IE11 on windows 8.1, it means you use tap to simulate the hover. So the result will display with double-tap to activate the link.

If you don't want to use double-tap, you may use click event. The best practice is to not use hover to hide content that a user can interact with. Instead, consider using the click event to toggle the visibility.

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, October 13, 2014 6:01 AM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 9:37 AM