Intranet and Internet Site deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I have to design an Intranet and an Intranet for the same client.  Both sites share a few items in common.  I have a few questions.

• Can both sites have one authoring environment or separate ones.
    • Can both sites be deployed on the same server or different servers.
    • Do both sites have to be isolated from each other.
    • If there is content common among the two sites, how can I share this information.
    Friday, January 10, 2014 8:01 AM

Answers

• If the main difference between intranet and internet is content or permission to see content, then you should be able to first create a web application for your intranet, then Extend that same web app in to a new authentication zone for the internet.

When you use Extend both sites will share the same content databases, but have distinct Urls and authentication schemes.  So in this scenario, all content is common, but you would use permissions to determine what is visible to anonymous users. 

If you need greater protection of true intranet content, then you might consider creating a separate web app for intranet, a second for internet authoring, and then extend the internet one to another zone to provide anonymous access.  In this case, to share common content, you could look at the Content Deployment features. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee721058(v=office.14).aspx)

All of these can be on the same server, provided it can be made visible to the public internet through firewalls, etc.

Hope that helps.

• Proposed as answer by Steven AndrewsEditor Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by JasonGuo Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:55 AM
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:22 AM