none
distribution without store - dead end? RRS feed

• Question

• Our company is developing an lob app for our customer. We don't want to distribute the app via the store but directly on the pc's of our client. I do now the facts and requirements for Sideloading. Although it seems that this practice is not a possible solution for us.

a) our customer is not running a domain.

b) how can you legitimate the cost of ~ EUR 2000.- for the sideloading keys to the customer? (the customer must buy the sideloading keys)

Any suggestions of how we still can successfully and cost efficiently install the app at the client's pc's? If there is no solution we need to reprogramme in Java/WPF.

Regards, Johann

Friday, May 10, 2013 9:59 AM

All replies

• What are your reasons for not wanting to distribute through the store ?
    Friday, May 10, 2013 2:18 PM
  • you can distribute the app locally, but each and every system you install should have a developer license associated with it.

First, generate the app packages for your app using VS2012

In that you will find "Add-AppDevPackage"(of type 'windows powershell script'), you can right click and select "Run with PowerShell".

pradeep aj If it answers, then please Mark it as Answer

Friday, May 10, 2013 2:46 PM
  • You can get your Developer license for free from your VS Express 2012, STORE(menu)->Acquire Developer License (But each and every system should have VS installed)

To avoid this you can do the following(ie. if the client does not have VS installed),

Use RegEdit to navigate to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Appx

Set AllowAllTrustedApps (REG_DWORD) to the value of 1

• Edited by Pradeep AJ Friday, May 10, 2013 4:29 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 2:56 PM
  • A detailed tutorial is here 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/archive/2012/11/05/how-do-i-deploy-a-windows-8-app-to-another-device-for-testing.aspx

Friday, May 10, 2013 4:29 PM
  • @Peter DC: The app is designed individually for our customer and contains "sensitive" data.

@Pradeep AJ: I am aware of this process, but this is not an option for me. 
    I do not want to and it is also not legal to activate my developer license on the customer's pc. I would also have to reactivate the developer license every 30 days.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 3:58 PM
  • A suggestion, publish your app at highest price point available and use password protection. That should keep most prying eyes away.
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:21 PM
  • That's ineed something to consider. One last concern: Will Microsoft allow a password sealed app in the store? And is there an actual person checking the app before accepting it for the store or does the app "only" need to conquer the automatic software check by the certification kit?
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Check the link here. This example uses password authentication, but I don't know if it applies to apps deployed through the store. Yes there are actual testers checking the apps so if it is acceptable you would have to provide the tester with a password and access to dummy data. I have seen apps that require logon credentials, but before you do any work I suggest you get confirmation from someone with the relevant knowledge.
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:17 PM
  • This gives me hope. I will add a simple authentication functionality to the app and then submit it to the store.
    I will let you know if I had success.
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:33 PM
  • The app just got rejected.

It failed several requirements (1.2., 3.1., 4.1. and 6.2.).

Regarding 1.2.: I provided the testers with a demo login. So it is not clear to me why I failed 1.2. The content of the app is good und fully implemented.

Anyway, I am quite disappointed now as Microsoft is just not supporting our business case as described in my initial post.

Friday, May 24, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Better provide detailed functionality of your app in the 'Note to Tester', so that they can understand the apps usage.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:22 AM
  • Sorry to hear. It seems odd that you failed on age rating. Perhaps Pradeep's advice will work, otherwise the wpf route may be the way to go.

I'm hoping that microsoft will see the light and lower or remove the cost barrier to sideloading lob apps as there seem to be many people trying to create apps for small companies whose employees use their own devices with no volume licensing in place. I think this is a major barrier stopping the adoption of windows 8 in the workplace.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:03 AM