none
Can rdlc file contains a combobox or can extend it to support combobox? RRS feed

• Question

• I am designing a reporting page. It's a little complicated and should contains a ComboBox. By selecting it, part of the page should display different data according to the selection. But there is no ComboBox control in rdlc designer. My question is whether ReportViewer support ComboBox? If not, how to extend the control to support it.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:52 AM

Answers

• Your understanding of the approach is correct

If you have to have combo boxes in line and have content change as the selection in the combo box changes then

the reportviewer control probably isnt best suited to what you want to do.

It is a bit hard to know without knowing the kind of problem you are trying to solve.

Maybe just using combo boxes and datagrids might be better in this case.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:24 AM
  • From the Report menu, while defining the layout, you can pick Parameters from the Report menu. While you can set them up, the dialog is (IMHO) a little misleading in local mode.  That's because the data is prepared for the local report *outside* this whole system. 

So the answer you got (which seems to me to be substantially correct) is that the form *outside* the report control has to know about your parameters in order to prepare the report data properly, and refresh the report (so that it re-renders according to the new data it has been given).

You can give those values to the report as parameters, simply so that headers etc reflect what the user has chosen in the controls outside the report. Or those values might be used to set (say) dynamic colors.  But to take truly meaningful action on the selections to change the data, the user selections should originate outside the report and report control.

Hope this makes sense...

>L<

Sunday, May 27, 2007 2:52 PM

All replies

• You should not need to put a combo box in the report itself.

What you might want to do instead is have a parameter entry panel (much like how is works with Reporting Services) where users can make the selection of a parameter in the combobox control and then your report loads accordingly based on the value of that parameter.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Thanks for reply. But what's the "parameter entry panel"? I cannot search it out on Internet.

My understanding of your approach is that I can put a combobox outside the reportviewer control and refreshing the control after a selection changed in the combo box. Is it correct?

But for my application, it doesn't make sense to pull the combobox outside the whole control. My reporting page looks like below:

<Label>                         <ComboBox>

<Data>                          <Data>

<Data..................................................>

So my reporting page is really relied on the combobox control (I have 3 now, and maybe more). So I indeed want to add combo box control to the reportviewer. Any opinions?

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:15 AM
  • Your understanding of the approach is correct

If you have to have combo boxes in line and have content change as the selection in the combo box changes then

the reportviewer control probably isnt best suited to what you want to do.

It is a bit hard to know without knowing the kind of problem you are trying to solve.

Maybe just using combo boxes and datagrids might be better in this case.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:24 AM
  • From the Report menu, while defining the layout, you can pick Parameters from the Report menu. While you can set them up, the dialog is (IMHO) a little misleading in local mode.  That's because the data is prepared for the local report *outside* this whole system. 

So the answer you got (which seems to me to be substantially correct) is that the form *outside* the report control has to know about your parameters in order to prepare the report data properly, and refresh the report (so that it re-renders according to the new data it has been given).

You can give those values to the report as parameters, simply so that headers etc reflect what the user has chosen in the controls outside the report. Or those values might be used to set (say) dynamic colors.  But to take truly meaningful action on the selections to change the data, the user selections should originate outside the report and report control.

Hope this makes sense...

>L<

Sunday, May 27, 2007 2:52 PM