Migrate (VSTS) process template from Hosted to Inherited RRS feed

• Question

• Due to a time constraint, we migrated our TFS collection to VSTS along with the hosted-xml process we were using. Now that the deadline has passed, we are very eager to move to the inheritance model (likely a derivative of Agile).

I'm told that a solution is in the works to accomplish such a feat, but I cannot find any information regarding timeline, etc. When will we be able to move (in-place) from a hosted process template to an inheritance process template?

If the answer is "not in the foreseeable future", can someone kindly advise how to accomplish this using the existing API's (history, links, etc.)?

Please assume that the inherited process we wish to migrate to has all the 'custom' fields we would like to maintain.

Thank you!

Monday, November 20, 2017 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

Currently, there is no way to move you from hosted xml to inherited process template. This website indicates "We are planning to allow you to migrate from the Hosted XML into the Inheritance process model later this year.", but there is no ETA. Hence, for the hosted XML process model, if you want to customize your team projects, you need to import a custom process template before the new feature available.

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:34 AM
  • Cece,

Thank you for your expediency. Would you happen to know if it's possible to migrate a complete work item (links, attachments, discussion, history, [all metadata]) using the public api's? If so, may I ask for a link to documentation that explains how to migrate a single work item in its entirety? Thank you!

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:40 PM