none
problem with afdlib.lib RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. This is a pretty odd problem that I don't understand and hopefully someone can help.

I have windows 7 installed with visual studio 2005 and platform builder 6.0. I've also installed the cumulative update from 2013. I'm building a board support package for an ARMV4I processor and I can build it and run our C# application perfectly fine, but recently we've noticed a large delay has started occurring at a given point in out application. When we call Dns.GetHostEntry("192.168.30.1") it waits for over 10 seconds before returning.

While investigating this we discovered that exactly the same build done on another machine worked perfectly fine with no delays. After some more investigation we discovered that the other machine has some slight changes in the c:\WINCE600 directory and after trying many variations I discovered that copying this file seems to fix the problem. copy C:\WINCE600\Updates\Backup\131231_2013\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\LIB\ARMV4I\RETAIL\afdlib.lib back into the main WINCE600\PUBLIC folder.

The other machine was built some time ago and has had a variety of updates, but not in a controlled manner so we can't replicate that machine.

I have no idea why copying this file should fix the problem, but it doesn't feel like a sensible solution to the problem as who knows what else this changes.

Does anyone have any idea what's happening or a better solution?

Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:27 AM

All replies

• Based on the folder name "131231_2013" the change was included in the 2013 cumulative rollup.  If you check the release notes, you will find that AFDLIB.LIB was modified and then documented in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2284242.  I am not saying that this was easy to find, but a little Binging found that ADSLIB.LIB was related to DNS which is what I search for in the release notes.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP) Senior Engineer Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman Eurotech Inc. www.Eurotech.com

Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:43 PM
  • thanks for that, but I don't see how that helps me fix the problem?

I've searched our WINCE600 directory and I can't see where we set either SYSGEN_L2TP or SYSGEN_PPTP and even if we do and I can't find them I don't see how KB2284242 would cause the GetHostEntry call to start going slowly?  I'm presuming that for some reason GetHostEntry is failing to work correctly and is hitting a timeout and that is the delay I'm seeing? It all just seems odd when with an older version of that one library it seems to work quickly.

Friday, May 16, 2014 8:13 AM
  • Sorry, I was responding to "I have no idea why copying this file should fix the problem, but it doesn't feel like a sensible solution to the problem as who knows what else this changes."

Certainly a library that is used for DNS could be the cause of problems using DNS, wouldn't it?

You searched the WINCE600 directory?  Instead, open your project in Visual Studio and check the catalog.  One or both are probably added as dependencies of other things in your project.  Search the catalog for PPTP and L2TP.

You might want to open a case with Microsoft Support.  This might just be a bug.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP) Senior Engineer Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman Eurotech Inc. www.Eurotech.com

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:03 PM
  • thanks - sorry for my poorly phrased question.
    Monday, May 19, 2014 7:04 AM