mobile.browsers IsMobileDevice = false with Nokia N95 RRS feed

• Question

• User1141377840 posted

Hi people,

I just started developing web apps for mobile devices and downloaded the file mobile.browsers from http://mdbf.codeplex.com to have more info about the devices that land on my page.

I would like to know why is the property IsMobileDevice = false in the case of iphone and Nokia N95 (those are the devices where I noticed this problem so far).

Thanks

Monday, September 28, 2009 2:28 PM

Answers

• User1634317999 posted

I cannot believe this because I have tested the Mobile Device Browser File with standard User Agents of iPhone and N95. I always get true for the isMobileDevice property.

You have to ensure that you have no other browser or device definitions in your project than  MDBF from CodePlex.

Another reason could be that the device you are using is not sending the standard User Agent because the carrier could have changed it. This is impropable but you should check this.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:59 AM

All replies

• User1634317999 posted

The Mobile Device Browser File detects devices like Nokia N95 or Apple iPhone correctly. Therefore you are not using the .browser file correctly in your project.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:54 AM
  • User1141377840 posted

Hi SKT_01,

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know you only need to drop the file on the folder App_browser/devices and you are ready to start using the info in it, therefore, I don't think I am using the file incorrectly as you say. I am just querying Request.Browser.IsMobileDevice and it comes back false when it should be true.

I you have the answer to that I would apreciate.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:58 PM
  • User1634317999 posted

I cannot believe this because I have tested the Mobile Device Browser File with standard User Agents of iPhone and N95. I always get true for the isMobileDevice property.

You have to ensure that you have no other browser or device definitions in your project than  MDBF from CodePlex.

Another reason could be that the device you are using is not sending the standard User Agent because the carrier could have changed it. This is impropable but you should check this.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:59 AM
  • User1141377840 posted

I've created an empty project, tryed again...same thing :(.

BTW I am using ASP.NET 2.0

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:28 PM
  • User-63228558 posted

Hello,

Have you already found a solution to your problem? I have it too: IsMobileDevice stays false!

Kind greetings,

Jeroen 

Friday, October 9, 2009 12:28 PM
  • User1135281112 posted

Instead of using Codeplex file i would suggest you to make use of  http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products/NETMobileAPI/tabid/86/Default.aspx because of following

- Free open source ASP.NET mobile API
    - Automatically determine if a mobile device is accessing the site and redirect it to mobile specific content without changing existing .aspx pages.
    - Gives upto date mobile device capability information using WURFL database widely-accepted as the most advanced and up-to-date Lmobile device database available. Same database is used by the BBC, Bank of America, MySpace and Admob among others.
    - Multi Threaded, Memory Efficient, Seamless Deployment, Quick & Accurate, supports transcoders

We are using in our developments and is very useful and easy to implement than Codeplex. Please review above link and you will get idea.

If you want to see sample implementation please look at http://dotnetslackers.com/articles/aspnet/Mobile-Device-Detection-and-Redirection-Using-ASP-NET.aspx

Thanks

Monday, October 12, 2009 10:19 AM
  • User981004358 posted

51degrees.mobi Foundation API which detects all mobile devices is a .NET open source available on Codeplex now http://51degrees.codeplex.com/releases.

It easily detects if the request is coming from any mobile device and redirects user to mobile landing page. It has some user friendly samples to try out.

-Thanks 

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:40 AM