none
Versioning Services RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to get an explanation of how this scenario:

1) For a client, there may be several possible versions of a service, where the same may have happened in datacontract changes in method signatures, or whatever else happens, which is in the business rule after implementation of the interface.

I know there is DataContracts versioning, but and if there are changes in the rules when implementing the contract?

Monday, March 25, 2013 7:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you want to use a new version of service contract for a client, you can define a new service contract interface that inherits from the old service contract interface, change the "versionOld" endpoint definition to use the new contract. To "versionOld" clients, the endpoint will continue to appear as exposing the "versionOld" contract; to "versionNew" clients, the endpoint will appear to expose the "versionNew" contract. 

If I misunderstanding, please elaborate your question more clearly. Thanks.

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:11 AM

All replies

• I am not sure what exactly you are asking but my understanding is

You are aware about DataContract versioning but not so sure about Service contract versioning.

If my understanding is correct then maybe this article Service contract versioning can help you.

ViBi

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:33 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to use a new version of service contract for a client, you can define a new service contract interface that inherits from the old service contract interface, change the "versionOld" endpoint definition to use the new contract. To "versionOld" clients, the endpoint will continue to appear as exposing the "versionOld" contract; to "versionNew" clients, the endpoint will appear to expose the "versionNew" contract. 

If I misunderstanding, please elaborate your question more clearly. Thanks.

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:11 AM