none
Problem counting pages in an email RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem counting the pages in an email.  

I get the current mail item, use its GetInspector.GetWordEditor, and cast that as a Word Document.  I then call the ComputeStatisitics method of the Word document in order to get the character count and the page count.  The problem is that the character count always gives a credible value but the page count always gives 1 despite the fact that when Outlook's print preview shows that the same email has 7 pages.

I am using VB.net in VS 2010 and Outlook 2013.  

I have the following references
    Interop.Offoce.dll .NET 2.1.0.0
    Interop.Outlook.dll  .NET 9.0.0.0
    Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word .NET 11.0.0.0

(The add-in supports all version of Outlook from OL2003 but this counting feature is only available if OL2007 or higher is detected.)

I set class level object

Friend wrdDoc As Word.Document

A button click gets the current mail item, gets its Word document, and performs the calculations.

wrdDoc = CType(olMailItem.GetInspector.WordEditor,Word.Document)

Dim lngCharactersInEmail = wrdDoc.ComputeStatistics(Word.WdStatistic.wdStatisticCharacters, False)
    Dim lngPages As Long = wrdDoc.ComputeStatistics(Word.WdStatistic.wdStatisticPages, True)

Am I missing something?

Mike VE

Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:02 AM

Answers

• I can verify the problem in Outlook 2013, where the same email that returned 4 pages with Outlook 2010 now only shows 1 page in 2013.

I'll report it to the product group and report back anything I hear from them on it. If you want more prompt action you can try opening a support incident with MS on this. If they decide it's a bug you'd get reimbursed for the cost of the support incident.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Ken Slovak MVP" <=?utf-8?B?S2VuIFNsb3ZhayBNVlA=?=> wrote in message news:1c33a5d9-21a6-45fd-8ab3-a4f6a2a53c3e...
    Are you seeing the problem only in Outlook 2013?

I tried equivalent code here in Outlook 2010 and I got 4 pages on the selected email. Print preview showed 5 pages, but that could be because a specific printer was alreadty selected.

Try selecting various emails and running the following Outlook VBA code to see what you get:

Sub worddocstats()
        Dim om As Outlook.MailItem
        Dim oi As Outlook.Inspector
        Dim doc As Word.document

Set om = Application.ActiveExplorer.Selection(1)
        Set oi = om.GetInspector
        Set doc = oi.WordEditor

Debug.Print doc.ComputeStatistics(wdStatisticCharacters, False)
        Debug.Print doc.ComputeStatistics(wdStatisticPages, True)
    End Sub

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Mike VE" <=?utf-8?B?TWlrZSBWRQ==?=> wrote in message news:3991f134-6078-473c-97f4-3364c0f3bec5...

I have a problem counting the pages in an email.  

I get the current mail item, use its GetInspector.GetWordEditor, and cast that as a Word Document.  I then call the ComputeStatisitics method of the Word document in order to get the character count and the page count.  The problem is that the character count always gives a credible value but the page count always gives 1 despite the fact that when Outlook's print preview shows that the same email has 7 pages.

(The add-in supports all version of Outlook from OL2003 but this counting feature is only available if OL2007 or higher is detected.)

I set class level object

A button click gets the current mail item, gets its Word document, and performs the calculations.

Dim lngCharactersInEmail = wrdDoc.ComputeStatistics(Word.WdStatistic.wdStatisticCharacters, False)
    Dim lngPages As Long = wrdDoc.ComputeStatistics(Word.WdStatistic.wdStatisticPages, True)

Am I missing something?

Mike VE

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Mike VE Friday, March 8, 2013 6:45 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:37 PM

All replies

• Are you seeing the problem only in Outlook 2013?

I tried equivalent code here in Outlook 2010 and I got 4 pages on the selected email. Print preview showed 5 pages, but that could be because a specific printer was alreadty selected.

Try selecting various emails and running the following Outlook VBA code to see what you get:

Sub worddocstats()
        Dim doc As Word.document

Set oi = om.GetInspector
        Set doc = oi.WordEditor

End Sub

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Mike VE" <=?utf-8?B?TWlrZSBWRQ==?=> wrote in message news:3991f134-6078-473c-97f4-3364c0f3bec5...

I set class level object

Am I missing something?

Mike VE

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:12 PM
  • I can verify the problem in Outlook 2013, where the same email that returned 4 pages with Outlook 2010 now only shows 1 page in 2013.

I'll report it to the product group and report back anything I hear from them on it. If you want more prompt action you can try opening a support incident with MS on this. If they decide it's a bug you'd get reimbursed for the cost of the support incident.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Ken Slovak MVP" <=?utf-8?B?S2VuIFNsb3ZhayBNVlA=?=> wrote in message news:1c33a5d9-21a6-45fd-8ab3-a4f6a2a53c3e...
    Are you seeing the problem only in Outlook 2013?

Sub worddocstats()
        Dim doc As Word.document

Set oi = om.GetInspector
        Set doc = oi.WordEditor

End Sub

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]

I set class level object

Am I missing something?

Mike VE

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Mike VE Friday, March 8, 2013 6:45 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:37 PM
  • Thanks for that Ken.  

Yes I can confirm that it only seems to happen in Outlook 2013 which is a big relief as the client is still on OL2007.  The OL2013 documentation did not suggest there was anything different and it never even occurred to me that it could be a bug.  It great to have this confirmed by someone of your experience.  I'll look at raising a support issue.

Mike VE

Friday, March 8, 2013 6:44 PM
  • A bug has been opened on this problem. There's no projected fix date at this time, the bug has just been opened for triage.

If any customer has a pressing need for a hotfix for this bug they should open a support case, and reference this thread and a related bug. The thread is linked to the bug.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:23 PM